Xojo 2022R3.1 crashes galore

I guess: Developer Technical Support

But it looks like they changed it to TSI?
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/8146
mentions:

but that page is not showing DTS but TSI

Google still shows DTS wording for the technical page:

Who said it is a bug in macOS? I only see this issue with Xojo, yet Xojo Inc is very silent about this.

Your Crashreports shows dlopen() as the reason for the crashes and as Christian already stated: thats Appleā€™s code:

Its the same with every new macOS: the first version contains more or less obvious bugs, which will hopefully be fixed in the next two or three dot releases.
As long as Xojo build apps work fine under Ventura, I can stay with Monterey on my MacStudio and wait until Apple (and Xojo Inc) found and fixed all bugsā€¦

1 Like

There are really odd bugs which you need to test yourself. And bugs donā€™t fix themselves.

@ChristopheDV : do you want to do a DTS? You would be perfect because on your computer Xojo crashes so often.

1 Like

Maybe I am lucky, but until now I didnā€™t find a Ventura related bug in one of my apps and there are no customer reports. Might change when more people switch to Venturaā€¦

And why does other apps not crash? Xcode also load a lot of dylibs.

How to do that?

I am sure Apple did heavy testing for Xcode and fixed all dylib-related bugs they found. Looks like that were not allā€¦

DTS = Developer Tech Support.
TSI = Tech Support Incident.

You contact DTS and open a TSI.

4 Likes

I suspect it has to do with when the dylibs are loaded. If the dylibs are linked in the Mach-O file, the Mach-O loader will load the dylibs at launch time.

The crash appears to be occurring when Xojo is manually loading dylibs at runtime (once the Mach-O loader has long completed).

My guess would be that Xojo has contacted Apple and there is no quick workaround for yet another Apple bug.

If only Xojo were to say something, rather than leaving their customers scrambling and guessing in the dark.

4 Likes

Yes, they did. Itā€™s called the ā€œBetaā€ program where paying customers test their unreleased products and report bugs back to the Apple engineers. You donā€™t become a 3 trillion dollar company by spending bucket loads on internal QA, when you can get your customers to pay you to do itā€¦
hmmm sounds familiarā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s entirely possible that Xojo has no information to offer us yet, heck, they could be bound by a developer NDA for all we know.

Iā€™m trying to think if Iā€™ve got any dylibs that get loaded using a dlopen declare which would be easy to test and submit to Apple.

@Geoff_Perlman : can you give us some information if the bug is being addressed by you or Apple?

1 Like

Word!

Just for fun I created an Apple Script that launches Xojo every 4 minutes, which should be enough, and see if I can get it launched on my Studio M1 Max.

I did set the Lock Screen preference to ā€˜neverā€™ so it would not go to sleep.
I then ran this script all night long. Unfortunately no times there was a successful launch of Xojo.
I did forget to add a counter to see how many times it tried but at estimate it must have been 120 times.

I can safely say Xojo is not working anymore on macOS 13.0.1 (for me).

Well, I had an idea. I put the full Xojo folder on an old slow USB stick (FAT32 formatted). Launched it from that stick and ā€¦ it loaded fine from the first time.
So maybe it is because the SSD on a MBP M1 Pro and Studio M1 Max is too fast? Figures I-)

Launching it again from my build in SSD, and it crashes.

In my 1st generation m1 MacBook Pro, the internal SSD speed is around 2700MBpsā€¦

So yours can be faster !

My latest generation MacBook Pro M1 Max 16" has a built in SSD capable of 5500MB/s read and write speeds, possibly slightly more (according to Blackmagic) and hasnā€™t shown an crash.

@Ian: Waooooā€¦ Xojo is fast then !

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app
Available for free in the Apple Store.

Nice macOS update; they set ā€œSort alphabeticallyā€ my Applications folder where I set it only to ā€œSnap to gridā€ !

Yes, thatā€™s the app and yes, it is fast.