Xojo 2019r2 silently dies on start

[quote=461586:@Greg O’Lone]Actually… we did look into it and fixed the issue we saw. Obviously there’s another dimension we didn’t see, but since you ”Couldn’t be bothered trying to report it yet again so just changed my system clock” we weren’t aware of this.

Bjorn, please create a new case with as much info as you can give us. Screenshots of your language and locale system preference windows would be very helpful.[/quote]

I can’t find that ticket <https://xojo.com/issue/56853> in the release notes and I don’t see the usual text at the top of the ticket showing the note that gets included with the release notes so I assume that change didn’t make it into release? I’m not 100% that is an indicator but it might be something you could look into unless you can fix stuff without linking it to the ticket?

Actually you didn’t fix the issue that I took my time to report. And when it was clear that you weren’t paying attention, I posted about it several times on the forums. The steps were clear, there wasn’t another dimension to this - you marked it as fixed. I said it wasn’t fixed. I really don’t know what you expect of your users sometimes.

Of course, having got 2019r2 launching on OS X El Capitan, I then eventually ran into the bug that hangs the IDE when dragging a control from the library onto a window layout. (https://forum.xojo.com/56297-2019r2-drag-hangs-ide-and-apps-in-yosemite/ and I think there’s another one somewhere.)

Since I’m something of a glutton for self-punishment, one workaround I’ve found is to use an older (working) version of the IDE, create a project with a window with all the controls you think you’ll need already placed on it, and then open this in 2019r2. Trying to drag from your “library” will still hang the IDE (at least, it does for me) but copy and paste works.

If you have App Wrapper 3.10.1 (or newer); I’ve added a console to the tools menu. Type “Xojo” (Apple’s console is now case-sensitive and do a search. It should show entries logged by Xojo and NSEXceptions + assertions.

Can help in tracking down weird errors.

What is broken (IMHO) is the Drag and Drop feature (Drag a Control from the Library into the Window).

What you can do is double click in a control, then move it to where you want: this works fine.

But 21 years doing drag and drop (with REALbasic / Real Studio and Xojo) is hard to fight… :frowning:

You know, I never knew this was possible! The “habit” of drag and drop indeed …

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! Thank you.