Xojo 2017 - Single File EXE - 64 bit Application Packers

My first test with EngimaProtector64 http://enigmaprotector.com on a 64 bit Xojo 2017R3 app did not work - the protector build goes fine, then protected app launches and shows the splash screen, but then nothing happens - no Xojo windows show up, no error messages. I’ve sent an email to them with my sample project to see if they can help. I’ll report back when I hear more.

Good news: the Enigma folks responded quickly to the bug report I sent and posted a new version:

I tried this new version, and it worked for me. Note: After building, you need to rename the protected app to be the same as the source app, (remove the “_protected” string from the EXE filename.)

Is this ‘protector’ or ‘virtual box’?

Enigma Protector - which is a paid product but has a free demo version. I did not try Enigma Virtual Box which is freeware. I’m not familiar enough with these products to know how they differ.

Enigma Protector is a “protector” with a virtual box embedded , entry point obfuscation, virtual DLL calls, emulate API, etc… It is a nice software but you must think one thing:
Your customers:
a)Normal customers that don’t crack, disassemble or debug legit apps to avoid pay it: They will have problems with your app protected with Enigma or others protectors in future with SO updates, antivirus false positives, another apps installed that use RING0 calls, etc… So they will have problems that are unnecessary.
b)Advanced users or customers that search to crack your software: They will use a simple Ollydbg script to unpack your software.
The EXE protectors use one logical system to be compatible with “special” EXE files like .NET or Xojo binaries: reduce its advanced protections to ensure compatibility so a simple memory dumper and relocation fix do the job.

The best protector for EXE files is: a reasonable price in a nice app.

My reasons for testing this software is the desire for a single file exe, not for protection against cracking. Other people have differing needs. While it is true that application packers can trigger false positives from antivirus software, it’s also true that plain old Xojo apps can also trigger false positives. So there are tradeoffs.

I’d like to keep this thread somewhat focused, so if people want to debate the reasons for a single-file EXE we should probably start a new thread for that :slight_smile:

I agree. I would love to hand single EXEs to some of my customers as installing via setup.exe (installer) it too complicated for them some times.

thread hijacking is far to easy and I agree we should take the reasons why/why not to another thread.

Michael, I think you should use Enigma Virtual Box. I think because you are trying Enigma Protector, people started commenting about that product features.

From what I read, the only option they offer with Virtual Box is a single EXE file. No protection against cracking, nor options to create trial/license apps.

Thank you for your tests.

For fun, I stated a new thread to argue about the Pros and Cons of single-file EXEs: https://forum.xojo.com/45931-single-file-exes-pros-and-cons