Xojo 2017 Book Survey

[quote=312199:@Norman Palardy]Personally I’d say THE book to update is Matt Neubergs
https://www.amazon.com/REALbasic-Definitive-Guide-Matt-Neuburg/dp/1565926579[/quote]

This was my bible when I was learning REALbasic in the early days. I still have the second edition.

As do I since I was thanked in the book itself :slight_smile:

Norm,
I need to get you to sign my copy then :stuck_out_tongue:

You really want Matt’s signature on there - not mine :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be amazing. Honestly, it was hands down the best book on xojo/rb. Cleared up lots of simple things that some books (and websites) seemed to overcomplicate. That’s really what makes so many topics difficult; writers that get caught up in the weeds. Matt had a gift of cutting through that and giving the reader a straight-forward explanation. Not to cut anyone down but from what I’ve heard Valentina is a great database but the docs are so… unfriendly, that it keeps me from using it despite having a license.

At one cent a copy, it is a steal :wink:

The results from the survey are shown below and the survey is now closed. Here are the results (click on the picture to download it or enlarge the view):

Download Survey Link

The answer choices are shown below in text format, as some devices have problems with formatting pictures:

1. Create a Beautiful GUI Design
  2. Threads
  3. Plugins (How to wrap/convert a .dll/.so .dylib)
  4. Writing a plugin from the ground up
  5. Introduction to Database Business Applications
  6. Program Optimization (Multi-core, graphics, fast functions and classes, complex data structures)
  7. Xojo Script
  8. Programming (Software design, software testing, design patterns, debugging, refactoring)
  9. Xojo Code Recipe Book
  10. Socket Programming
  11. Program with newer Xojo plugin format (Unsure of release date)
  12. Listbox Control
  13. Game/Animation programming
  14. Databases for the Web (MySQL)
  15. Understanding MemoryBlocks
  16. Marketing your program
  17. How to design a program
  18. Animation programming (duplicate of 13?)
  19. RegEx
  20. Sub Classing
  21. InnoSetup (Windows OS – Builds installer program)
  22. Xojo Beginner Introduction
  23. Game Design, concepts, and gameplay
  24. OpenOffice/Libre Office
  25. Metal Graphics (Mac OS X and/or iOS)
  26. Component Object Model (COM)
  27. Irrlicht Game Engine
  28. Converting to the Xojo Programming Language
  29. Extend OpenGL to Linux OS (Ubuntu)
  30. Outlook (Windows OS)
  31. PowerPoint (Windows OS)

There were many great topics to choose during this survey, and thanks to the Xojo Forum members for all of their suggestions and for everyone who participated in the survey. Creating a Beautiful GUI Design is at the top of the list and this will be the first topic that will be worked with.

2017 is going to be a great year!

Edit: Added Survey Download Link

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, good luck :slight_smile:

Very interesting results.

True, but there are things to agree on. There is also the user’s experience with the UI which impacts usability.

Get an eye amazon:kndle: Xojo user guide: book 1 Basic (Japanese Edition) @ 156€ Kindle edition (say aound $150).

I will recycle xojo books for kindle and sold them at $50/50€ !