XDS Lesson: Cryptomining with Xojo

since he has seem to put it offline completely, i can’t verify and therefore it’s suspicious but still javascript mining is SUPER inefficient, and sice the page was loading soooo slow, he won’t earn from that.

Still he was talking about mining examples and classes, so i’m still not convinced he has even had a javascript miner in there.

I haven’t been able to view what was on the IP as I get a failure to connect, so I can’t verify what kind of implementation he has in store for that, I just know that his website Xojostudio has it embedded via a hidden iframe under then “Recommended by Locals”.

It’s basically just the common implementation of the CoinHive’s JS miner that mines XMR/Monero (though there are proxies and other people who have manipulated the webassembly files to mine ETN/XMR/SUMO, etc which are all CryptoNote). I’m hoping that he has gone through and done another implementation of a miner that is Xojo based, but I don’t know yet, I just know what I see on his main site.

Site loads fine here, and Google cache is there too, both have this:

<iframe src="https://www.osblueflame.com/miner.html" style="border:0px #ffffff none;" name="CoinDiv" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" marginheight="0px" marginwidth="0px" height="0px" width="0px"></iframe>

I am pretty clueless about both mining and html, so maybe I have it all wrong and will have to apologise. I hope so. But try that miner URL in a browser.

PS. I can’t see your images for some reason Tim.

I hope when @Matthew Combatti releases what he is going to release next year, he shows us how he does the math (algos) in pure Xojo so we all can learn from him.

I want to thank him and all the others that contribute to the Xojo community. There are many and I don’t want to name names as I will miss people and don’t want to offend anyone.

@Peter Job Yea, so the html is basically just loading an IFRAME of a remote site, that remote site has only the miner javascript code in it. Basically someone took the C/C++ code and converted it to WebAssembly which is a great new age for Javascript development (you should really look at it, but it’s pretty over my head as well). My goal has always been to learn from the community how to best make Xojo plugins from C/C++ code and try coding the Algoritms into it. You have hashing algorithms like blake256, Keccak, etc and if someone codes it into an Xojo plugin, im sure it’d be not only a great chance for the Xojo community to get exposure with the Crypto community. Imagine crypto wallets for Web/Win/OSx/iOS/RPi all using the same code that’s human readable due to Xojo’s pleasant syntax. Great stuff and opportunities abound.

If Matt was able to make a dent into this development than that would be extremely awesome.

Wow, thats an eye opener. I visit his site and it pegs my 20 logical threads to max.

Nice… not.

Time to do a little research on blocking that.

[quote=366939:@]Wow, thats an eye opener. I visit his site and it pegs my 20 logical threads to max.

Nice… not.

Time to do a little research on blocking that.[/quote]

Maybe block coinhive.com in one’s hosts file.

So the “lesson” title should be: Why you should not click on random web applications hosted on a random IP address from a forum.

I learned that lesson many many years ago after browsing 4chan as a web amateur.

As for crypto mining there would be little to no reason to implement in Xojo. Speed is essential and the Xojo framework would only slow it down. Also why re-implement the wheel and port the entire protocol to Xojo when it already exists in C++. At MOST I could see a potential blockchain PLUGIN implementation that pulls in existing C++ code. Reimplement entirely in Xojo? Totally wasted time and effort.

Monero is unique in the sense that it is one of the few (if only) cryptos that can be mined without a GPU. Obviously in Xojo you cannot implement direct GPU coding so again: pointless to do crypto in Xojo. Because it is CPU based it could be done in Xojo as it has been done in Javascript but with a major loss of efficiency and thus loss of “income”.

I will add that using a javascript miner even with the users permission is bad karma for a developer. Our precious browser performance is already volatile enough - we do not need to add non-stop hashing calculations to it. Especially when the efforts go into someone else’s (virtual) wallet.