XDC2018 Open Conversation - Day 1

Talking now about the improvements to Xojo since last XDC, like 800+ bug fixes and improvements to Windows. I won’t catalog all the points here.

We have a blog post up now with all of the winners! Congrats everyone!

https://blog.xojo.com/2018/04/25/xojo-design-award-winners/

Talking about the benefits of 64-bit builds and a specific example in @Thomas Moore. I won’t recount the details that, tbh, I barely understood, but the impressive part is this: through hardware improvements he got an 8X boost, and through optimizations another 7X.

Geoff mentioned the missed deadlines like Interops and plugins, and now talking about the roadmap for the future.

Terminology Announcements:
Important = on the radar
Priority = in development

“Happiness is about having your expectations met.” Xojo will no longer talk about ship dates and when features will ship. Some features will be introduced over several releases.

Instead, they will talk about what is “Important” (they are actively working on it to get it out soon) and “Priorities” (it’s on their radar for active development).

See the comments below for an accurate description of Important vs. Priorities.

(Tim described it the other way, perhaps I misunderstood?)

(I typed it as Geoff said it the second time, he may have flip flopped? @Dana Brown clarity?)

If it is a priority there’s a good chance it’s already in the works or about to be. If it is important, it’s likely something we are at least planning for the not too distant future.

Using an analogy of building a house. The foundation is the most important thing, but it doesn’t look at all like a house. Towards the end, the house goes up quickly so that’s what their (and all of our) development looks like, we don’t see the work they put into it until near the end.

it’s clear that Priority > Important

Plugins in Xojo code are on the important stage.

Thanks Dana.

Priority is Interops, first the Android, then iOS, then Mac. Windows is trickier.

Android is another priority.

Plugins are Important, not a Priority.

The IDE interface is in the works, and Geoff is about to demo some of the changes.

The new IDE will introduce a Home screen reminiscent of the Real Studio project manager. Want to ask if this is a Priority or Important…

I want to ask if there will be an option to restore the navigator because that is really going to slow me down.

Kem, thanks for the coverage, what exactly is meant by “Interops”?

Now talking about the Web Framework 1.0. Designed in 2009, JQuery was immature, browsers weren’t as capable…

Really interested in Web 2.0.

Ground up rewrite

99% compatible to old projects, I think that is important!

Web Framework 2.0 (@Greg O’Lone will have a session on this in his session)…

• Ground up rewrite.
  • More robust apps.
  • Better optimizations.
  • New controls.
  • 99% compatible with 1.0.

Showing Eddies Electronics app as an example.