Windows Tablets

@scott boss
You could also look on aliexpress dot com what they have to offer regarding to windows based tablets and have some more options. Just be carefully with them and look comments and reviews by customers per each offer.

Can you show where (which webshop) you got it please?

from Amazon.com (where i do most of my buying these days)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6HD4IE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not an awesome tablet but not bad (from the specs) for sub-$100

[quote=362315:@scott boss]from Amazon.com (where i do most of my buying these days)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6HD4IE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not an awesome tablet but not bad (from the specs) for sub-$100[/quote]

Might want to check and be very sure that Windows 10 S only run apps from the Windows Store? I am not sure on this but from what I have read, this seems to be the case. Which rule out Xojo developed apps (Desktop apps).

Edit:
I may have mistaken. Silver may be the color, and not Windows 10 S(ilver)

According to the specs this isn’t a bad choice. In the specs it shows that it is delivered with MS Windows Home edition, but if it is the S edition it can give problems with running Xojo programs.
I have a 8inch Toshiba (now ca. 4 or 5 year old i think) with about the same specs but with a screenresolution of 1280x800 and i have it used with a powered usb-hub and an attached harddisk, keyboard and mouse and it worked fine. I have used it a year or so as a test webserver for Xojo webapp development.
When i bought it it was running Windows 8, i upgraded it first to 8.1 and later to Windows 10. Still works fine.

FYI: 10 S can be upgraded to 10 Pro which can run anything you want.

Look at the price of the upgrade. It is possible you can get a better tablet for the price of the sub $100 + upgrade.

Specs may look good, but I have to warn you on the screen quality, which is often terrible on cheap tablets.

A new world of possibilities will be open for sub $100 devices after Xojo for Android. But for Windows it’s usually just PITA

We currently have these on mobile contract deals in South Africa for something like $8 per month including a small data package.
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/windows-tablets/alcatel-plus-10-review-video-3635529/

My previous Windows tablet was an ASUS T100TA. I am not very fond of the build quality but it is still working. It has got 2GB RAM and a 32GB EMMC storage and runs Windows 10 32Bit. It cold boots in under 60 seconds. It even runs the XOJO’s IDE. I Even installed the Unity3D IDE 32Bit on it and it worked well actually. Maybe look online for some second-hand deals. My major gripe is the windows updates that tend to fill up the WinSXS folder to such a degree that there is virtually no storage available.

• Hey here is my little Windows 10" Tablet… What can it do? Not much because Microsoft is hogging all the storage space for updates :slight_smile:

You can turn off updates. https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

[quote=362332:@Cho Sing Kum]Might want to check and be very sure that Windows 10 S only run apps from the Windows Store? I am not sure on this but from what I have read, this seems to be the case. Which rule out Xojo developed apps (Desktop apps).

Edit:
I may have mistaken. Silver may be the color, and not Windows 10 S(ilver)[/quote]

The color is silver and it has Windows 10 home (32bit) not 10s. I am posting this from the tablet. The only thing I have had to do so far is have windows patch itself which took a while as there was many missing patches. Otherwise so good so far. Once I have time to move a xojo built app over to it I will let you know how it goes.

Great. Good to hear. You should be able to move your Xojo built apps over.

I don’t have a Windows 10 tablet (only have 2 Windows 5.7" Windows phone). I do have two 13" notebooks - one is 1280x768 and the other 1920x1080 (HD). Everything is so small on the 13" HD screen and I changed the resolution down to 1280x768 to be comfortable.

I think you will appreciate the benefit of adaptive UI if you are using your app on both regular 21"/23" monitor and the 8" tablet, even if you use K&M. Also when you rotate the tablet horizontal and vertical. If your app has very few controls then this is not a problem.

The only challenge I have with the Windows Updates so far, is that windows update will not upgrade you to 1709 Fall Creators edition. You have to download the installer and install over a fully patched version. http://aka.ms/winup is the shortcut to the windows site to download it.

as for all low disk space devices, you have to do a “disk cleanup” to reclaim space from windows helping you out. Mine is only using 10gb for everything that came on the tablet including all the updates. Only leaves 18gb for everything else.

thanks!
sb

@scott boss : I had the same with my Toshiba 32 GB, but also with my 64 GB Asus that had plenty room for the Fall update.
On the Toshiba i deleted the recovery partition (burned it on a dvd and on a usb. memorystick, now it has a reasonable amount of free diskspace.