Windows Flicker in the IDE

Scrolling the Inspector is painful to watch. Major flicker there. (Windows 7/64 bit)

Yes, MAJOR flicker issue. If this is what you get with a modern looking control, give me the old Property List from RS. I can’t decide if the Inspector, the removal of Bookmarks, or that “hell on the eyes” chisled font in the navigator irriates me the most.

I have my reservations when it comes to .NET.

One of the reasons I picked Xojo years back as a development tool, besides for it being one of the most convenient cross-platform tools, is that it produces compact binary applications that doesn’t require 100MB+ framework installs to go with it. It is quick and easy to deploy compiled Xojo applications to my clients, without massive install files.

Given this, if such a move is done in a way as to not negatively impact the size of a compiled Xojo application, and if it is in the best interest to ensure better quality and compatibility with Windows, it would make sense to use the .NET framework.

Just my 2c on Xojo and .NET.

[quote=10923:@Alwyn Bester]I have my reservations when it comes to .NET.

One of the reasons I picked Xojo years back as a development tool, besides for it being one of the most convenient cross-platform tools, is that it produces compact binary applications that doesn’t require 100MB+ framework installs to go with it. It is quick and easy to deploy compiled Xojo applications to my clients, without massive install files.
[/quote]
+10

I hate .Net. There has got to be another solution. .Net is a blight on the computing landscape.

The problem with quoting is all in the context.

The .NET framework is now very pervasive on Windows, since many programs are now written with .NET
This mean the impact of requiring an external framework is now less problematic. On the other hand, .NET is required to have an higher level of GUI on Windows and many are considering .NET as the Windows equivalent of Cocoa.
While I don’t like so much .NET (except for the C# language) I’d welcome a transition to .NET.

I think that the NET framework is installed on 99% of Windows machines. IMO it’s shouldn’t be an issue and it’s the Windows official SDK, despite I really dislike NET framework.

Xojo for Windows needs more work, flickering problems are something that needs to be addressed. If it can’t be done w/o NET, the best, if not, I wouldn’t mind using NET for the rendering code.

[quote=10934:@Amando Blasco]I think that the NET framework is installed on 99% of Windows machines. IMO it’s shouldn’t be an issue and it’s the Windows official SDK, despite I really dislike NET framework.

Xojo for Windows needs more work, flickering problems are something that needs to be addressed. If it cant done w/o NET, the best, if not, I wouldn’t mind using NET for the rendering code.[/quote]

Fair enough. I was actually referring more to the impact on the final compiled application, and not so much to the impact it might have on the way a developer writes code.

But as Geoff stated they’d most likely use a default version that wouldn’t require the .net framework redistributable install so perhaps I’m missing something here?

Then switching .Net would be a very welcomed move… especially if it resolves issues such as the flickering.

I was just stating my concerns with .Net, cause I had a few bad experiences with it back in the day (where I had to cut projects due to the logistical distribution problems the massive redistributable caused).

Never had such problems with Xojo for years now.

Alwyn I hear you. I’ve just been involved in getting a .net 1.1 app working on win 2k8R2 in an IIS pool. Very frustrating & it’s all MS.

I do trust Xojo to get it right though.

Just a thought:
How, or in which language is RealBasic written? (up to 2012)
How, or in which language is Xojo written?

Compiler issue? Performance?

I believe the RS IDE was written in RS, and Xojo IDE was started in RS then converted to Xojo as appropriate.

Overall, the IDE on Windows feels more responsive, so I’m glad. I do wish, however, that the superfluous animation (when adding and removing items) in the Web Style editor were removed. Similarly, if you expand the window editor to full screen, the Inspector seems to redraw several times at its old position before the window snaps to the full screen size. There seems to be some unnecessary redrawing going on, perhaps.

Please provide a list of things that flicker (i.e. what are you doing and what flickers). Some there’s not much we can do, but others I’m sure we can address, like the Inspector scrolling (it’s hideous I agree), thanks.

Ok, here’s my list (Windows 7 64bit):

1. Open a Xojo Web app and create a style. Add Top Border or any style with more than one line. The segment appears with a slide-down animation, with controls flickering all the way.

2. Open Xojo and edit a window and have the Library or Inspector showing. Click on the window maximize button. The Library/Inspector will redraw several times just before the the window snaps to full screen. Interestingly, when you click on the maximize button again to return to the smaller window, the window shrinks and the Library/Inspector redraws just once.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPxHVGkBhL8&feature=youtu.be (+Bug at end)

So far I can only get flicker with maximising & the inspector in general. Either way it’s one specific section of the IDE but the control library works fine in terms of scrolling.

On the other hand, has Xojo changed the way it draws on windows? I did a few tests last night and very trivial actions that used to cause UI issues no longer do, but i’ll be sure to post examples back if i do.

I viewed your video and I see the flicker when you use the scroll bar in the Inpector. Do you not see that when you grab the scroll bar and move it up adn down? When I do it here, it is brutal, even on a high-end Dell laptop.

Everything that happens in the video happens exactly the on my screen