Will the Back button in the IDE ever work properly again?

You have to run Feedback (once) to get it run when you click in that link.

Thanks Emilie.
What do you mean by “You have to run Feedback…” ?

There is an application called “Feedback” that allows you to … create and view, rank, etc. Bugs found in Xojo.

You will download it fromhere. You may have to register to access to that page.

In Safari (as in other Browser) you saw feedback as protocol (instead of http).

Ok now the link works. :slight_smile:
Thanks

I read the description but I think Norman did not get the point of the issue.
Are there any other official statements about this major problem?
I don’t understand the talk about right or wrong.
Important (at least for me) is the usability. And if I can’t use the navigation buttons it is bad.

Can we hope to get a fix soon?
Right now the IDE is waisting so much of my time. That is very disappointing!

I am firmly in the camp of those who think the project navigator is … shall we say less than awesome? @Norman Palardy insists that it works as it was designed, and we should stop calling it broken because it does not behave as we believe it should.

Now, I’ve read through the feedback cases I could find regarding the behavior of the back button, and as far as I can tell I think that there are definitely instances when the back button is just plain broken - especially given the description Norman has put out that it should behave like a browser tab. It does not. At all. I frequently move between layout and code view in the SAME tab, which completely breaks the back functionality and drives me nuts. Here is a video demonstrating the issue. I’m looking at a tab that has the layout view of a window shown. Double click on a control to reveal the code in one of its events in the code editor in the SAME tab. Hit the back button (expecting to go back to the layout view where I just was) but instead it dumps me straight to the build settings and erases all prior history in that tab.

If this is how it was truly designed, then I humbly submit that the design is in fact broken. I don’t know that a global history would be any better as has been suggested, but certainly when I hit the back button I expect that I’ll be taken back to where I just was in the same tab.

Broken Back Button Screencast

If there is already a feedback that covers this, I’m sorry but I missed it. I’m happy to attach these comments and video to one if it already exists.

That was nicely…diplomatic. :slight_smile:

Please add me to the list of people who (although I realize it is not “wrong”), think that this behavior is not ideal. I actually was thinking that the Back/Forward mechanism was completely broken, but after reading Lee Badham’s comment in (https://xojo.com/issue/26799)>]this feedback report, I realize that it’s simply a bug in the IDE.

[quote]Lee Badham on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:14 AM
History does not work if you use a project folder structure which contains reserved names.

I had a project from RealStudio 2011R4 which had a group structure where all the windows were in a ‘Windows’ folder, Classes were in a ‘Classes’ folder etc.

Upgrading the project to Xojo kept the same names, but the use of a ‘Windows’ folder breaks the history function as the Back button always goes to the Windows Build Settings and disables the Forward button.

Creating a New project does not allow the use of a folder called ‘Windows’

Automatic renaming of a folder would cause a problem because I use SVN Version Control, so paths are important as the SVN would think that all the old files have been deleted and new ones created.

Regards,

Lee[/quote]

As an aside Lee, HOW DID YOU EVER FIGURE THAT OUT. I’m completely OCD about my coding conventions as well, naming my folders based on what they contain, and this has driven me nuts for as long as I can remember. I’ve tracked some weird IDE bugs before, but your ability to decipher that one astonishes me.

Cheers.

-bill k

[quote=77665:@Lee Badham]Lee Badham on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:14 AM
History does not work[/quote]

FTFY.

Absolutely!

And instead of discussing the word “wrong”, I suggest to acknowledge the high number of ‘likes’ in the posts of TT and Karen - and rather think about the need behind those likes than wasting time on a futile discussion ‘who is wrong and who is right’!

I’m new to Xojo (but freakin’ old to RealBasic) and I’m lost. Not opposed to change – unless it’s a step backwards (which this is). Right now I have to hunt for where I was last. Xojo isn’t Safari and I’m not sure how someone would think the same rules should apply. (You’re thinking a tab is equivalent to a web site, but a Xojo project is equivalent to a web site.)

If it’s a matter of money, please put up a figure that it will take to get you to make this change. I’m not opposed to chipping in actual $ to get this working.

(Sure, I might feel a little bitter about having to pay to get it fixed, but if it’s never changed I’ll feel like you guys are off in la-la-land, unwilling to say, “oops, screwed up that one!” which doesn’t bode well for the future.)

Jay

PS - As to current implementation not being “wrong” – if you purposefully made hitting the back button go to a random location in the project that functionality wouldn’t be considered a bug, but it would sure as heck be wrong.

[EDIT - Xojo is cool. I’m just confused about the decision (initial and continued) behind this.]

I need to blow off some steam about this issue:

The back button has been completely useless and pissing me off for more than 2 years now. I know there are lots of bigger problems with the IDE that need to be addressed, and other development efforts underway, but this one makes me want to cuss out loud multiple times each day. It’s a small but highly aggravating issue.

Please, get this one fixed.

(https://xojo.com/issue/29324)>]<https://xojo.com/issue/29324>

Having read all the posts here, I am compelled to voice my thoughts, although they are not specific to the “back” button. I’m still using RB ver 12.2. I refuse to upgrade to XoJo. I voiced my displeasure of what was done to the IDE when XoJo first released the new IDE. And now I read this about the Back button and a few other things… I LOVE the way the Back button works in my version. And the Forward button. I use them ALL the time as they do what they SHOULD DO.

For this and various other reasons I will not spend my money on a newer version when, IMHO, it’s forcing me to change the way I’ve become accustomed to work and not making it better than it was.

I’m not positive about this but I think RB ver 12.2 was the last “good” version as far as an IDE is concerned. I like it “as is” and until my needs go beyond it’s capability, that’s what I’ll stay with.

Dunno what gives with developers of such programs but many of them seem to just want to go off in their own direction. Micro you know who did it as several others. I remember years ago when I developed in Clipper … and then some company took it over and changed everything … and where is it now?

Maybe I’m just getting old (68) but sometimes change just sux!

Yes, the Back button doesn’t work as you would expect, but what I miss most is the Bookmarks, that were not carried over. I would love to be able to mark a dozen or so places in my code that I either work in a lot, or are central to the problem at hand I am working on and go straight to the code I want to see. Seems to make a whole lot more sense than clicking the Back button 6 times to get back to code you were working on 15 minutes earlier. As a workaround for the missing bookmars, I add:

//.

to locations in the code I want to retain and then search for that with Find. I really cannot understand, Bookmarks seem to be in just about every other development system I have used. But we really should be able to right-click in the gutter and black a Blue square as a bookmark. This is how it is listed in the Feedback item another user posted in 2013.

FWIW, I have come to like Xojo over RS, after balking at making the switch a couple of years ago. Just has some rough edges that Xojo seems to not think not as important as other things. And that’s a pity in my opinion.

No, you’re not alone. I’m hoping that we hear something at XDC next week on IDE updates. I’m not holding my breath but the sheer number of developers still on Real Studio because they don’t like the new IDE, while not staggering, should be enough to get something fixed. I know I certainly plan on talking to anyone at Xojo that’s willing to listen. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s that we dislike change, per se, it’s that we are less productive in Xojo than we were in Real Studio. I’m working in both right now and it’s jarring to go back and forth several times a day. I like some things in Real Studio and like some things in Xojo. However, the things I hate in Xojo vastly outweigh the things I hate in Real Studio.

Wish I could make it this year - @Bob Keeney - corner @Norman Palardy on this issue, and armwrestle him for me. You can take him.

Well, I owe Norman about 150 drinks. We’ll see what happens after 3 or 4. :slight_smile:

This is one case where lots of specific reports would help both with identifying the specific problem and with testing the solution.
I have an idea what causes it to fail - but there’s a LOT of scenarios where I’m sure you’ve encountered it not working and details would really help. I have several of my own but this is one case where lots of details helps.

@Norman Palardy - there are 2 scenarios where it is broken for me:

1. History is tab based, but the IDE will jump you from tab to tab if you lock tabs, thus breaking your route in history. For instance, if I’m editing a class in a locked tab and I right click on a call to some method in another class and select “go to thisMethod” in the popup menu, it’ll take me to that method in a new tab. If I then hit the back button (in my mind, to go back to where I came from) instead it’ll take me back in the history stack for the tab I’m now in. Or, in some cases seemingly randomly drop me into some other tab that I haven’t been in for a while. I can’t figure out why.

You can claim that per-tab history is by design and therefore not broken. I claim it’s a poor design because it does not match the expected behavior for the vast majority of users. When I hit back, I want to go back to where I came from, no matter where that was.

1. When your history path takes you back and forth from code to layout editors, the back button is plain old broken… often it will simply take you to the build settings for your project.

Here is a video that demonstrates the above.

And let’s not talk about the not working locking of tabs. How long has this been broken? If I open a new tab I want to stay in the tab and not end up somewhere else.

Not talking when I have two workspaces for the same project and I end jumping back and forth from workspaces :frowning: