Will Apple allow this

[quote=252729:@Dave S]exactly… I can’t believe I’m the only developer that has envisioned a vertical market app for i devices.
The dealer “gives” the app away… the customer has a useful app, that also puts the dealers name out there as advertising. The dealers I have spoken with that expressed interest all mentioned their adverstising budget would pay their share.[/quote]

I don’t see any issue with doing this, it’s just a huge amount more work for you. You’d have to customize the app yourself for each dealer and ship each version to Apple as a unique app.

The generic app that is customized via downloads from your website is a simpler way to go, but then you do lose the ability to customize the app icon and app description for each dealer.

Part of this depends on the size of your market: if you’re doing this for 10-100 dealerships, maintaining 100 apps might feasible. But if you’re doing this for 1,000 dealerships, updating 1,000 apps every time you have a bug fix would be a nightmare.

unlike apps by http://mobileapploader.com/myapp/default.aspx (which are the ones I think you are referring to)

My app does not benefit the dealer other than brand name recognition… it allows the dealers customer (ie, the vehicle owner) to track information, and perhaps in the future communicate it back to the dealer (but that is not the primary intent)

Marc… it I could get 1000 paid dealer contracts, I could retire and service those contracts full time, and be quite well of :slight_smile: as that would be multi-million annual income… wishful thinking :slight_smile:

As to the customization… that is “easy”… its just replacing one module in the app with data specific to the “skin” required for a given dealer… the rest of the code etc is the same. the base code actually already handles either automobiles or motorcycles by changing one boolean flag.

Why wouldn’t the app just be the framework or have generic information in it. When the user installs it and types a dealer specific access code the app would then download the dealer specific data, graphics, etc. from a server? I know you don’t “want” to maintain a server but that is the correct approach. The real advantage here is the dealer can update the information without having to have the user download anything else. The monetation is on the tools and service for the dealer to keep their information up to date and current.

Check out Amazon web services or Microsoft Azure, they have the tools to get this done, and their cheap and coming down monthly in price.

If the user downloads the app at the dealership, you could use their current location to auto brand the app based on finding a dealer within x yards/meters of the user. That wouldn’t work so well if it was offsite…

What I don’t want is the user to enter a code into the APP… entering a code into the APP STORE (ala Promo code type situation is ok).
There is no information for the dealer to keep up to date… unless they move their sales location.
The idea is for it to be “This app brought to you courtesy of Daves’ Ford of San Diego”… not “This app is for information ABOUT Daves’ Ford of San Diego”

Hal… downloading at the dealer would be problematic…

• they would have to maintain both an OSX and Windows machine for this purpose
  • they would have to allow each customer to authorize (ie. synch) their iPhone with iTunes on that computer
  • technically they expose themselves to breach of security
  • someone at the dealership would have to be tech savvy incase the customer can’t figure it out on a machine that is not their own.

I was thinking the user would open the iOS app and then once it knew it was at the dealer’s site, it could just download the branding over their cell connection.

Dave, since you already have you mind set on promo code and don’t want to hear about any other approach, just go ahead and do it for a first dealer . That will be the best way to test the concept.

Apple does not need to know your agreement with the dealer.

I don’t have my mind "set " on anything… perhaps using the word “promo” is skewing peoples perception… perhaps “activation code”… but it needs to be something that can identify the dealer… either 100 versions each uniquely branded… but I don’t want a public version with a code required… then people would download it, and get p*ssed because they have no idea what the “code” should be, because they found the app, and didn’t go thru a dealer.

Hal… don’t forget… iPod Touch doesn’t have a cell connection… and even iPhone can be got with WiFi only… and THAT too would require authorized access.

If it becomes a chore for the user to install the app, then they lose incentive… I lose downloads, etc.

I am not aware of any way you can have an app in the App Store that would be invisible. By definition, the App Store is public.

Maybe what you want to do can be done through the Enterprise Program

To use Enterprise deployment (in-house apps from your own server) the user has to enroll in that enterprise’s Mobile Device Management. That adds steps to the install process, and personally I wouldn’t accept anything offering to manage my device for me. I yell at them for setting up my device at phone stores, and wipe-install it when I get home.

Source

I’m still obsessing over this… and spent days searching and finding nothing but conflicting information.

Many sites. simply say to have a “login/activation” screen … of course you have to give Apple a “code” to review it
but others say that Apple will reject apps that do this…

What I was thinking, is the app would appear in the normal iOS App Store, but any user that downloaded it would need an activation code provided by their dealer… once they enter that code, they never have to do it again (for that device at least), but they would have the ability to download it on other of their own authorized devices via iTunes and use the same code to activate it.

But any other person that downloaded it, and had not done business with the particular dealer would not have the code availabe to them, and therefore would not be able to use the application.

But it is confusing too know if Apple allows this or not… Enterprise/B2B don’t seem to be options, as they both seem to require DUN id, and knowledge of the devices ahead of time… neither of which I know to be true.

and yes this is a change in my thinking since above postings :slight_smile:

Why don’t you ask Apple?

I would if I knew of an avenue to do so…

See https://developer.apple.com/support/enrollment/ . Do you have a DUNS number?

[quote]Can I enroll as an individual and have my company appear as the seller on the App Store?
No. To have your company name appear as the seller, your company must be recognized as a legal entity and you must be enrolled as an organization. If you are a sole proprietor/single person business, you must join as an individual and your legal name will appear as the seller. If you have enrolled as an individual and need to convert your individual account to an organization account, please contact us.[/quote]

“Contact us” is a link, leading to another page, which leads to https://developer.apple.com/contact/submit.php, which leads to an actual contact form.

[quote=253651:@Dave S]What I was thinking, is the app would appear in the normal iOS App Store, but any user that downloaded it would need an activation code provided by their dealer… once they enter that code, they never have to do it again (for that device at least), but they would have the ability to download it on other of their own authorized devices via iTunes and use the same code to activate it.

But any other person that downloaded it, and had not done business with the particular dealer would not have the code availabe to them, and therefore would not be able to use the application.

But it is confusing too know if Apple allows this or not…[/quote]

Dave, what you describe is eminently common. There are hundreds if not thousand of apps in the App Store that work with a login or an activation code. Indeed all you need to do is provide a code for the reviewer. Look in your apps, that is already there in the review area for you to fill( field “demo Account”, under your contact info).

Why don’t you design a generic app that shows cars on a minimal basis as default without any activation, but becomes customized and enhanced when an activation code is entered. That way there will be less frustration for standard users.

Undestood Michel… but “standard” users cannot be allowed to access these versions…
I have planned for a “generic” version that will be released on its own but with a price tag on it… THAT one Apple would get 30% of, and there would be no activation code. The other (with code) would be FREE to download, but these are going to be offered by vehicle dealers as “perks” to their customers, so the dealer would supply the activation code with each car or motorcycle they sold.

All versions (free or paid) would have the same features. The free version would have custom graphics, and sport a link to the dealers sales webpage…

[quote=253671:@Dave S]Undestood Michel… but “standard” users cannot be allowed to access these versions…
I have planned for a “generic” version that will be released on its own but with a price tag on it… THAT one Apple would get 30% of, and there would be no activation code. The other (with code) would be FREE to download, but these are going to be offered by vehicle dealers as “perks” to their customers, so the dealer would supply the activation code with each car or motorcycle they sold.

All versions (free or paid) would have the same features. The free version would have custom graphics, and sport a link to the dealers sales webpage…[/quote]

Sounds good.

This is not a viable business model.

It’s hard enough to get name recognition and enough users to sell ONE app profitably. Why do you think you can do it for dozens, hundreds, however many dealers you have?

If the app only lets a user “track information” that is most likely not communicated back to the dealer then I fail to see why this isn’t just one app called “Auto Tracking”. Sell your app on features, ease of use, etc. You could even support dealer integration for service requests. The user finds their local dealer and it syncs up miles, oil changes, etc and offers the user coupons. No user is going to select more than one dealer for each car they have. Why would they? Most areas only have one dealer of a specific kind anyway.

In that scenario you might be able to get the dealer to pay you something because they: would be listed, could offer coupons, communicate with their customers all of which help marketing.

There is no way a dealer is going to pay you to make something for them that they can give away to their customers. First off the customers they do have didn’t go there to buy an app, they went there to buy a car.

They also don’t want to support it either. “Hello, is John there? John you sold me a Toyota last year. I don’t have an authorization code for DavesCarTracker. Can you make me a new one?” “Sure Phillip, just come on down and lets get you into a new vehicle which includes the app!”

I think you have some good ideas from a marketing perspective but I think you need to re-evaluate who your customer is. I hope I haven’t offended but Dave I know you want honesty and I respect you for making yourself vulnerable. New ideas are tough!

To answer your question: Apple would likely approve it if there is no way to circumvent their cut of the shares. Each dealer would have their own app and since its tailored around them I doubt there would be a problem or concern over its purpose. The problem marketing wise is why would a dealer want an app on the store that forces users to have a code. They would want everyone to be able to use it!

You are right… name recognition in the App Store sucks… I have 3 “decent” apps there for over a year, and sold 45 copies of one, and nobody (according to apple) has even VIEWED the others… hence this “marketing model”

The dealer pays ME to produce a customized version… the benefit to THEM? Their Name, Their Logo on the screen of everyone of Their customers iphones… The benefit to the customer, they got the app for free.
The benefit to ME? I have a known income, as I charge the dealer a one time “fee” to include their graphics, name, URL etc.
And yes there is a way the dealer is going to pay me for something they will give away… as multiple dealers have already expressed interest in this idea… to them its called “advertising”, and they have quite significant budgets for that. The dealer has zero support requirements.

As far as multiple vehicles, sure it the user bought a Ford and a Chevy, and the Ford dealer gave this this app, they could enter the Chevy… or vice versa. As a matter of fact, technically the app can track an unlimited number of vehicles (based on device memory etc… after all its just an SQLite Database).

Remember this is to be a freebie, “Thanks for buying a car, here is a keyring, and a code to a free app to help you track your gas mileage, service reminders etc.”… just another item in the “swag bag”. And since it is part of their advertising budget, and it works out to pennies per vehicle for them, and a decent chunk of change for me … I don’t have to worry or care,how many downloads actually occur… the customization fee upfront from each dealer paid what I wanted.

here is an example

I understand why it works for you. I think the dealer would prefer if anyone could download the app and use it. Considering they paid you to put the logos and such on it and release it with their name why do you care if its ‘authorized’? Why does the dealer benefit? Maybe you could drive more customers to the service department who didn’t buy a car from them.

tldr; Make a generic car tracker, sell it. Offer to make customized version for dealers. Skip the authorization code.

Good luck :slight_smile: