What should operator_convert do with a nil object?

[quote=209513:@Norman Palardy]if as the code you posted so long ago does and sets MyClass, a class reference, to NIL you want

NIL.Operator_convert() as type 

to do what ?

Remember what its declared type is and call that things operator_convert ?
That could silently mask bugs or cause entirely new ones

It’s doing the right thing already and raising a nil object exception since you’re trying to invoke a method on a nil object which is nonsense[/quote]

I feel like we are going around in circles a bit here, but… basically “yes” - there is an argument to be made (by Myself, and at least one other Xojo denizen. Two makes a crowd!) that NIL.operator_convert() could be defined as “always NIL”, just like “NIL can be cast to anything” is allowed by the language, and there would be some benefits of that. I have yet to think of any bad consequences, but I’ve been programming long enough to not think that means there aren’t any…

Why did I start this thread? I was refactoring, thought of an obvious and “foolproof” change which was to use operator_convert(), and was rather surprised to see my code blowing up in about fifty different areas. “Principle of least surprise” was violated so I thought I’d bring it up for discussion.

Next topic: what is NAN/Inf ? :slight_smile:

Crowds wrong
Next !

That’s the sound of one hand clapping.

Inf - which ones - countable or not countable

NaN - this one is easy - is a numeric data type value representing an undefined or unrepresentable value. It only has real applicability in computing

Nan/Inf = NaN since Nan propagates

Next