WebKit (non native) HTMLViewer performance Win7 vs Win10?

Oh really? So it IS a Xojo 2021r3.1 vs W10 compatibility issue after all? I wonder if it has always been the case in Xojo releases since W10 came out. In any case, it currently seemingly has been a bug for at least 3 years and nobody took care of fixing it until last month!?

I’m so glad that my purchased license is still valid for downloading new Xojo releases for another 10 months. I’ll be trying my app in Xojo 2022r1.1 in about an hour and report back here with the result. Thanks for sharing your previous post’s findings. This brings hope that it also works for me under Xojo 2022r1.1. BBL.

1 Like

Looks like Xojo updated CEF to version 95 with 2022 r1, so it could be a CEF bug I suppose…

…only affecting W10 PC’s? Marshall Greenblatt probably does not use W10 that much then, and hey, I would not blame him! With the awful W11 release and nVidia open sourcing their GPU drivers to Linux, it’s pretty much already over for Windows anyway.

Welp, unfortunately, none of the 3 Win10 PC’s render with accelerated OpenGL after compiling with Xojo 2022r1.1. My Win7 PC still renders flawlessly with accelerated OpenGL. Basically 100% like with Xojo 2021r3.1.

Win10 PC’s are all exactly as shown below:

Win7 PC is like this:

win7

Any other ideas?

I just tested on my Windows 11 VM (Mac Mini M1 in Parallels) and Windows 11 on my MSi GT72 Dominator. Both show full hardware acceleration support except for Canvas out-of-process rasterization and Vulkan, which are both disabled. So it’s seems like a Windows 10- or hardware-specific issue with the HTMLViewer.

I’d hit the “Copy Report to Clipboard” button and open a Feedback case with that information as well as your test system specs. Include both a report from a system that is functioning well and one that isn’t.

There may be a command-line flag that’s not being set (or one that is being set only) for Windows 10 on the cefsubproc that’s causing the problem, but the engineers should be able to take a look and determine if it’s something they’re doing.

Also, try it in DesktopHTMLViewer as well as HTMLViewer?

You could as an alternative use WebView2ControlMBS control with MBS Xojo Plugins.
That one uses the newer Chrome/Edge based browser engine on Windows, if available.

None of them use shared memory. They range from 2GB VRAM up to 6GB VRAM and all seemingly use their own dedicated memory. They’re all full ATX sized PCIe cards. Here they are:

nVidia GTX 1060
nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
nVidia GTX 1050 Ti

Exact same thing with the DesktopHTMLViewer, just tried it. Also, I was wondering: When I choose super:DesktopHTMLViewer in the library, the behavior dropdown (WebKit or native) disappears. Is that intended? I couldn’t find anything in the documentation regarding this. If the behavior is unset, then is it still using CEF or what?

Do I have to purchase the complete MBS plugin set at 600$ or?

You can buy only the WinFrameworks plugin part if needed.
Or the whole package. Prices on our website in the shop. But the complete package should be < $300.

if you have questions, you can contact us.

Check if your W10 machines have the latest updated Video/GPU drivers Win 10 compatible.

There must be a diagnostics table listed by chrome://cpu . Maybe there you can see something wrong about the drivers.

Use always the latest stable CEF available, because it detects known problems collected with the time and tries to workaround them if possible. Sometimes going software only instead of hardware accelerated, is just a way of preventing a possible crash listed in a bugged or not proper supported driver.

1 Like

Update them, also check if you have both Intel and nVidia side by side, update Intel also.

Can you please elaborate on this sentence? What does that mean exactly? I’m updating the nVidia drivers now, but I really don’t understand why this would be an issue since one of the 3 cards was installed 2 months ago, another one was installed in september and the other one has automatic nVidia updates turned on, so it probably had an update like 2 weeks ago or something. Now reinstalling the most up to date nVidia driver for all of them… this will take a while.

It means check if you have the latest proper drivers for your machines. If you know they are all set in place, there’s nothing more to do, and you should follow Anthony’s advice:

No. You wrote: “check if you have both Intel and nVidia side by side, update Intel also.”

What does THAT mean? What is a side by side environment? How can I check if I have that or not?

My notebook, for example, have 2 GPUs, GPU0 is Intel, and GPU1 is nVidia.

All them listed in the “Driver Information” section.

OK no, we only have a dedicated graphics card in each PC and obviously, the BIOS allows only the onboard graphics OR the dedicated card. You can’t select both, at least not on our PC’s. They all run through the PCIe card. No dual GPU environment here. There is not even a single PC that has 2 monitors attached to it either. Really simple.

So as you could not detect what’s wrong, your next step is:

That is after I spend half an hour reinstalling all the nVidia drivers as per your previous suggestion. I can’t possibly imagine building a Xojo app only to find out nobody having Windows 10 can run it. I would tell customers to downgrade to W7 lol

Since at least 2 other people mentioned WebGL in Xojo being accelerated under their W10 environment, then it’s clear it’s not a W10 compatibility issue anymore as I previously suspected. I now wonder if this compatibility issue is between Xojo-CEF and nVidia specifically, and not W10. Under the W7 PC, it’s an AMD graphics card (Radeon R9).

Could anybody with an nVidia dedicated graphics card confirm this?

My computer has both Intel and nVidia, internal and external monitor, Windows 10.0.19044, and simply works. You have a local problem needing an investigation you are avoiding.

Graphics Feature Status

• Canvas: Hardware accelerated
  • Compositing: Hardware accelerated
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
  • Out-of-process Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
  • OpenGL: Enabled
  • Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
  • Skia Renderer: Enabled
  • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Vulkan: Disabled
  • WebGL: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

Driver Bug Workarounds

• clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
  • decode_encode_srgb_for_generatemipmap
  • disable_accelerated_av1_decode_d3d11
  • disable_accelerated_vp8_decode
  • disable_accelerated_vp9_decode
  • disable_decode_swap_chain
  • disable_delayed_copy_nv12
  • disable_direct_composition
  • disable_direct_composition_sw_video_overlays
  • disable_dxgi_zero_copy_video
  • enable_bgra8_overlays_with_yuv_overlay_support
  • exit_on_context_lost
  • max_msaa_sample_count_4
  • msaa_is_slow
  • disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced
  • disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent

I’m not avoiding anything tough. Why are you implying this? I am spending hours on here trying everything that’s asked. The last suggestion that’s CURRENTLY BEING DONE is to reinstall all the nVidia drivers. You asked for this. It will take half an hour to do it. I’m waiting for the downloads to finish. Like WTH? Can you disable the Intel side completely and ONLY run the nVidia card and check if it still is accelerated please?

Do you have the STUDIO driver or the GAMEREADY driver?