WebCanvas resize is incredibly slow

[quote=141014:@Greg O’Lone]I really try to do that. There is a lot of the framework that I can’t explain for various reasons (like intellectual property).

I’m just trying to make sure no one is led down the wrong path because of a lack of knowledge of the underlying mechanism. I’d much rather you guys ask Xojo.[/quote]

I do appreciate your insight.

The only cure for ignorance is education. Which you eventually provided. But it is really easy to be confused by canvas controls looking identical on the surface (and in the graphic interface of the IDE) between desktop and web.

Lars was visibly asking for assistance and I naively presumed I could suggest a workaround. When nobody seems to want to answer, I should learn how to abstain, and I will refrain to try rescuing lost puppies anymore.

Rescuing puppies is a good thing when you know for sure how it works.
Inaccurate answers can steer people very badly in the wrong direction.

[quote=141146:@Norman Palardy]Rescuing puppies is a good thing when you know for sure how it works.
Inaccurate answers can steer people very badly in the wrong direction.[/quote]

Please forgive the poor soul with no brain and little insight who preposterously dared to confuse canvas and canvas. Fortunately, luminaries like you are here to prevent foolhardy misguided and misguiding well intentioned but stupid imbeciles like me to do harm.

On Oct 30 Lars posts a problem. Two days later nobody seemingly cared to assist. So I felt compelled to show some support.

How bad was I that all the sudden people who did not appear before needed to severely chastise the ignorant…

Now I am a lot less ignorant. Let him eat cake :confused:

[quote=141152:@Michel Bujardet]Please forgive the poor soul with no brain and little insight who preposterously dared to confuse canvas and canvas. Fortunately, luminaries like you are here to prevent foolhardy misguided and misguiding well intentioned but stupid imbeciles like me to do harm.
[/quote]
I never said anything about foolhardy, misguided etc so please don’t play victim like I did.
Recall what I said recently about putting words in my mouth - please don’t.

All we’re suggesting is that if you’re not sure abut how something works then say so when you post rather than post in a manner that seems very authoritative & certain.
Just prefacing a post with “I think how it works is …” is sufficient to convert that you’re not sure.
It may still give someone something else to try without believing its’ the honest to god gospel truth.

Otherwise we have to say “No thats wrong” which can lead to “Why so aggressive” when we try to correct the misinformation.

I for one am certainly willing to overlook an incorrect answer here or there from Michel, given the level of participation he brings here. I am guessing he has saved Xojo a small fortune in dealing with questions that probably would have ended up in Xojo support if he didn’t help out as much as he does.

[quote=141153:@Norman Palardy]Just prefacing a post with “I think how it works is …” is sufficient to convert that you’re not sure.
It may still give someone something else to try without believing its’ the honest to god gospel truth.

Otherwise we have to say “No thats wrong” which can lead to “Why so aggressive” when we try to correct the misinformation.[/quote]

Believe me I will make sure to take plenty of oratory precautions next time. Or as I said, to simply let Lars or anyone else just die in his corner with his pesky webcanvas, for fear of merely suggesting something. I do not think it is good practice to single someone as " I would be much happier if when you talk about WebCanvas that you actually understood what was going on under the hood first!" without giving the least beginning of an explanation. Yes, it made me feel like the last of an idiot and did not give any clue about where I was wrong.

I am intensely conscious to be just an amateur as compared to you and Greg. I am sorry if I took the risk to suggest Lars a bad route of action, in the absence of you two. Fortunately, you came in time to prevent me from burning the carpet…

[quote=141154:@Merv Pate][/quote]

Thank you for your support, Merv.

I’m not trying to say don’t try & be helpful
Far from it

Thank you.

Lots of stuff ? lots of good stuff
Google is good proof of that
Folks hit google & assume the first answer on the results page is “correct”
Hence page ranking is worth a lot

Yet a lot of the time its just a page with a high ranking - not necessarily one thats right

Well, that’s pretty comparison, Google crawling all over the web, indexing every last bit of crap that humans post and Michel’s prolific Xojo activity where he is genuinely trying to help your customers each and every time. Anecdotally , I see most of his posts are extremely helpful and rare is the post where he gets it really “wrong”. Since the intent of my first post seems to have been lost for some completely bizarre reason, let me rephrase: Michel does post a ton of “good stuff”, particularly on the Windows side of the business.

Boys,

I understand the significance of this discussion, but it’s really off-topic. If anyone later want to read this thread, it could be very confusing.

I am very grateful of every help! And if an answer of an user is not so accurate like the inventors of xojo would give, it’s also okay. Because this is a forum where users helps user - for free, in free time and with good intentions.

We know how it works and want you guys to know how it works
No more
No less
No pablum

Norman, we all know that and we all like your enormous efforts to teach us the internals (as far as allowed).

THANKS!