Web Animator

I see the Web Animator has been deprecated for Web 2.0 I have used this to create “flip-over” cards (containers with multiple controls) and a “zoom-in” “zoom-out” focus effect combining scale with transparency in some of my Xojo Web Apps. I don’t see how using web styles can re-create this functionality. Perhaps some CSS and Javascript could do this.

CSS and JavaScript can certainly do it, but it will be a tad more complex.

We use Web Animator too and will require a third party alternative before we could consider Web 2.0 for front-end services.

Web 2.00 is barely available. Developing third party utility will take a little while for me.

Chances are RubberViewsWE will be redundant, since CSS can do a great deal similar. But I will have to check.

Creating the equivalent of Web Animator seems indeed possible.

I am awfully stretched thin right now, between successful apps for Windows, Mac, and Android. I would like to add iOS as well.

RubberViews existed for years, and I used it for myself before I actually released it. Yet the core of my business is not Xojo. Too small a market for that.

A Web Animator would take more efforts, since I would have to start from scratch.

Perhaps @Anthony_Cyphers could come up with a Graffiti Animator ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

GraffitiWebAnimator does indeed exist for Web 1.0 and is slated for Web 2.0.

3 Likes

I thought I had seen that but was not sure.

Thanks Anthony :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can check out my implementation of AnimateCSS here:

3 Likes

That is really slick Brock, I have been looking at some of the rather nifty CSS tricks, actually…most of the web animator tricks I’ve used were designed to implement something I saw that was probably done with Javascript + CSS. One of my current little favorites is the “Cue Text” that shrinks and moves up and out of the TextField to become a smaller Label. I implemented (similar to seen here in the gif) this in Web 1.0 with Web Animator. It’s probably actually easier to do with CSS.

1 Like

As an aside, I’ve been looking somewhat forward to Web 2.0 — fortunately my income isn’t tied to Xojo apps so perhaps I’m a little more tolerant of change as a result. Some of the changes I really like…some… not so much. It’s a mixed bag for me. One disappointment of course is all the “extras” I’ve purchased over the years that work with Web Framework 1.0 are worthless in Web 2.0 and some of the developers either won’t port them to 2.0 or…it’ll be a significant expense to replace them. Taylor Design’s Web Custom Controls, Einhuger, Graffiti Suite, Jeremy LeRoy’s Calendar view and others, Thom’s Zircon web controls. Now it’s really great that some of these controls are now standard controls (I kinda wish Xojo had just purchased them from the developers and made them part of the product), but it’s nice there’s has been an ecosystem (though small) to support custom control creation. maybe Xojo could add one-click deployment into Kubernetes (in addition to Xojo Cloud) and add common source control integration for git right into the IDE. It should be even easier to add custom controls into the IDE. Managing plugins in a folder is a rather “manual” operation. Visual Studio Code…you can search for and install “plugins” right in the IDE – make no mistake VSCode has a steep learning curve compared to Xojo, but it’d be nice to steal a few good ideas from their playbook.

I agree with you that plug-ins could be better managed and we have plans for that as well as wanting to eventually have some kind of built-in version control client. It’s all a question of priority. We want to do all of this but like any company no matter the size, we have limited resources so we must put things in some kind of priority order and go from there. That’s one of the reasons we now have our published road map: to give all of you some sense of the priority order for some of the bigger items we are working one or plan to work on soon.

There are also non-obvious prerequisites for some features. For example, we really should make some changes to the project file format before we worry about a version control client.

6 Likes