(Very) limited text formatting

This is along the lines of the HTML file idea I offered. Assuming your document structure is more or less set, make an HTML template that you can then substitute the text from your database into at runtime. The template would also include text areas for user entry; sounds like your formatting needs are relatively static, so just use CSS to style these as desired – no need for user-level formatting controls, if I’m following. You’ll want the template somewhat constrained to keep it the size of the page (width) to manage reflow inn a way that keeps the document looking like it will when PDFed. But, most the work is done by the browser engine.

If you really want a full-up rich text editor, along the same lines how about using a browser-based one in an HTMLviewer, e.g. Quill? I haven’t done this with a richtext editor, but did so with a text editor (Ace) in Xojo and it worked well.

Generally, I’ve found the HTMLViewer to be my way around UI “limitations.”

We may offer RTFDataMBS functions in TextArea in our MBS Xojo Plugins. And also RTFDataMBS for StyledText class.

16 KB is the max after which built in styled text simply won’t load.

It is pretty easy to parse text in a TextArea.

You can use split with endofline as separator to create paragraphs.

That’s a handy hint and might be extremely helpful. Thank you!

Thanks Christian. I’ll add that to my testing.

It’s easy enough to add markup at the end of lines and beginning of lines using a select case thanks to the extremely limited scope of this. That also applies to RTF or XML.

Unfortunately no, it won’t be. The user begins with maybe 30-40 pages from the db and then edits it direct in the WYSIWYG interface to the point where it’s around 100 pages.

I have some great suggestions here and some testing ahead of me. I’ll post back when I have some results.

Thank you everyone.