UI Design - Undo/Reload button conundrum

If you have a button to reset the settings, it belongs (on the left?) where the settings are.
‘refresh the graph’ belongs on the right next to the graph

From that screenshot, I would assume the graph should always represent the data with no refresh necessary. The undo/redo/reload actions should be on the data editor.

Edit: Possibly a label on the graph to indicate whether it’s prediction data or the original data.
Edit 2: You’d then be able to remove the reload button, giving you extra space for more unforeseen buttons.

I’ll try to explain better. This shows the “original” recorded graph in it’s “un-trimmed” state:

It’s a simple x/y graph. It has to be manually trimmed (topped & tailed ie. left/right, at the point of interest). It’s not a video or audio file. Simple trimming using the available tools. Auto-Trim would be good. Leave a space for that later (version 2.0).

Something important that I forgot to mention is that I’m Left Handed and also somewhat ambidextrous. Therefore (seriously), when I look at the red icon in the graph editing panel as it is now, I think UNDO. But if I think about a clock, then of course it’s not correct. Then it means I have to think about it.

So even if I had 2 buttons (undo and re-load), I would not be sure which was which.

From a quick read of this thread, it sounds like you have “Undo” and “Undo All”, in which case an accelerator key with Undo would be appropriate. However, in either case, the arrow should be counter-clockwise. Just my 2c.

Not that I’m diagnosing you, but dyslexics may also suffer from a similar issue, and you are not alone. If we can find a way to remove that symbol from the graph area, I think that would improve the user experience.

Would you be able to record a video of average usage of these features? The hard part about UI and UX design is that it’s specific to how an app is used. I don’t think we’re understanding how the features are used well enough to make the best recommendations for this software.

The recommendations Jeff and I are making are heavily influenced by a data to graph paradigm. With this design paradigm, it’s inappropriate for a graph to have an undo button as the undo action applies to the data.

Im going to regret asking…
What does RESET do, then?

[quote=420588:@Tim Parnell]Not that I’m diagnosing you, but dyslexics may also suffer from a similar issue, and you are not alone. If we can find a way to remove that symbol from the graph area, I think that would improve the user experience.

Would you be able to record a video of average usage of these features? The hard part about UI and UX design is that it’s specific to how an app is used. I don’t think we’re understanding how the features are used well enough to make the best recommendations for this software.

The recommendations Jeff and I are making are heavily influenced by a data to graph paradigm. With this design paradigm, it’s inappropriate for a graph to have an undo button as the undo action applies to the data.[/quote]

That is bizarre and a great idea Tim. Would you believe, I’ve spent a good deals worth of today looking at video editing software solution for the purpose to create a video recording and simply lay over text etc. I have IceCream Recorder. It’s great and perfect to my requirements for screen capture.

So, then I have to look for software to make a “composite”, ie. add title, audio etc. DaVinci Resolve looks great, I’m half-way there having used Adobe Premiere. Unfortunately DR doesn’t work on Win7. I’ll need to decide which way to go.

[quote=420590:@Jeff Tullin]Im going to regret asking…
What does RESET do, then?[/quote]

What’s to regret?

RESET simply resets the entire application to the defaults as if you quit, then restarted. Perfectly Simple. Saves time.

That’s why the button is located in the top right corner coloured purple, so as not to be confused with anything else.

. . . Ummm . . . Oh Dear . . . what have I done? . . . :slight_smile:

Maybe I’ve come almost half full circle (180deg mirrored). Metaphorically and in reality.

Yep, given all possible solutions, simply changing the icon to the anti-clockwise version is the best and simplest way. UNDO/RELOAD same sort of thing. No need to change the code either. No need for an extra icon/button.

Steve Kelepouris = Sometimes “Can’t see the forest for the trees, Dumb dumb dumb”. . . . .

I would not have resolved this without going through this process. Thankyou to everyone.

Of course my software solution is unconventional and lacks basic standards for good design, but Xojo made me do it :).