Troubles with report and monitor resolution

Thank you Jean-Yves, Emile, Scott, Tanner and Norman: I learned so much reading your posts (this is my first app on Mac).
Perhaps the most important issue I have is gone into the background: if I make the external monitor (a smart TV in my case) the main monitor I surely have a better resolution which gives me more screen space to work on windows and reports.
While I ave no problems with windows, the issue is with the reports: fonts become so large that they completely distort the layout of the report. I found that everything goes well if I make the internal monitor the main and if I drag windows and reports into the external monitor.
I fear that by installing the compiled app on a computer with higher resolution, the problem of reports still occurs, and I cannot test that because I don’t have another Mac.

Quite right. My apologies if I contributed to that.

I haven’t used the Xojo Reports feature myself, yet, but if I understand your challenge correctly, I think (again) there must be a ScaleFactor property in the Reports functionality somewhere that is affecting your output when running on a Retina/High DPI monitor.

Maybe it’s worth a simple example project submitted to Feedback (with screenshots), to help understand what’s going on? After all, it could be a bug(?)

Has anybody else seen this?

Hi @Nedi Freguglia

This morning I was looking briefly at the Report examples that come with the Xojo install. I haven’t used this feature of Xojo yet, so I don’t know it as well as other features or controls, but simply running these examples show that the font sizes are displaying as I would expect them when I run them from the Xojo IDE.

In this case, I tested the examples using both 2019r1.1 and 2019r3 on macOS Catalina with a 4K monitor (Dell P2715Q). My ScaleFactor is 2.0.

In the examples, I notice some Report Labels have a hard-coded Font Size (12), but others are 0. Each show pretty normally on the screen.

One observation I noticed though, was the rendered reports look low-res (not Retina/High DPI) whereas the Xojo Desktop app hosting the Report is running in High DPI mode.

Is this low-res display of the Reports done on purpose to printing/sizing purposes, or because the Reports feature still needs an upgrade to support High DPI?

What results do you get if you run the /Example Projects/Printing and Reporting/Reporting/GasReport/GasReport.xojo_binary_project example?

Just curious. Thanks.

Thank to you, Scott!
If your 4K monitor is an external monitor then you should do this test (what causes my problem): set the external monitor as the main one; open the report in the IDE and tell me if you see regular fonts or not.

My test was using a 2018 Mac Mini, where my 4K Dell monitor is of course external and the only monitor I have plugged into the Mini, so it is the main/Primary screen.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

i have a massive issue with XOJO working with multiple monitors,

i have Asus ZenBook Pro Duo, which has two 4K screens, the top being 3840 x 2160, the other 3840 x 1100

These are the laptop screens, yes the laptop has two screens built in.

I am also using a third screen which is using HDMI 1920 x 1080.

When i start XOJO if i am lucky it appears on my secondary monitor, panels will sometimes not appear at all.

Can i force XOJO to use the primary monitor - which is the 3840 x 2160 ?

I currently still use VB6, i have a lot of applications using this, i know i need to move but this is making it impossible to use XOJO

Hi Nedi,

I recently added a 4k monitor to my iMac which initially would not work at anything except 1080 resolution.
I found it was the adaptor/HDMI cable which was plugged into the display port on the iMac which had a stated resolution of only 1080.
I changed to a different cable that was sold as 4k capable and it worked immediately.
I wonder if you have the correct cable to make the TV run 4k as a monitor?

Mark