Trojan detected by Defender

That’s a great way to get a false positive because viruses often hide themselves as something else to get users to open them.

In other words, please don’t do that.

4 Likes

So tonight I found another reason in a stack overflow post:

It seams that the section InstallDelete causes some problems:

[InstallDelete]
Type: filesandordirs; Name: "{app}\Resources\Help"

so I commented out the entry of this section, because I do not need this anymore:

[InstallDelete]
;Type: filesandordirs; Name: "{app}\Resources\Help"

And the warning does no longer appear…

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I am having this same problem: Windows Defender detecting “Wacatac.H!ml” in my Xojo 64-bit Windows app.

The problem is caused by this line:

Me.AcceptFileDrop("????")

I have this running in the Opening event of the main window, and in the Opening event of a DesktopListBox. The catch-22 is that the offending line seems to be necessary to get Windows to allow drag-n-drop (since it is clearly NOT accepting the proper mime types).

I do not have a solution yet, but wanted to post my findings for any other unfortunate souls experiencing this problem.

Make a small sample that triggers the false alarm and submit it as a false positive report:

Ironically, the problem was sporadic. I added a few lines of commented code around the AcceptFileDrop(“???”) line, rebuilt the project, and Windows Defender no longer detected a problem, even after several rebuilds. Apparently, I just won the machine-language lottery, and Xojo somehow produced a bad binary signature.