Thoughts on Valentina?

[quote=36840:@Joseph Morgan]Btw, .profile failed for me as well for what it’s worth
[/quote]

Profile() this was internal very old method, yet from times 2000-2001 when CodeWarrior was alive.
So it was dead about 10 years.

I have something in memory, that about 1-2 months ago I could erase it finally from code of plugin.
May be some examples still have that call and this break things.
Just remove that call. It is not needed.
We will check examples here now.

Well, if talk about remote VSERVER, then your code can be as simple as

App.Start
Valentina.InitClient( 10 * 1024 * 1024 ) // yes, Valentina have client-side cache

// make connection to VSERVER
dim connection1 as VConnection = new VConnection( “host”, ‘user’, ‘pasw’ )
vc.Open()

// Open db from VSERVER
dim db as new VDatabase = new VDatabase( connection1 )
db.open( GetLocation(“db_name_as_vserver_knows”) )
end

Code in example shown above, is more complex to show how to make app, which can in the same time work with LOCAL DB and with remote VSERVER.

The comparison with SQLITE is difficult. I love SQLITE, but it is not at all the same product.

With Valentina, there is more work at first, but after you win a lot of programming time.

Valentina also has many more features. For example, if you create an accounting software, attention, SQLITE (without extension) does not handle currencies, only integer and double! So you will handle cents separately as integers (in db).

Another example: you have clients Spanish, Italian, French, etc… ? Attention, SQLITE (without extension) handles poorly accented characters. It’s ok to research, but not for sorting.

With SQLITE, I lose a lot of time with SQL queries, because in Xojo, queries are strings. If I remember correctly, the language of Valentina, fully integrated Xojo (not strings!), OOP, saves a lot of time.

If I remember correctly too, errors are handled as an exception (check, I’m not sure), which saves a lot of time yet.

i have been using both CubeSQL and SQLiteManager for ages. So easy to move from single to multi users. just drop the database into the folder.

I agree Richard. CubeSQL makes it easy for the developer and the admin software is simple enough for the non-techie kind of person to figure out. What little support I’ve needed for their products has always been the best.

i try installing Valentina back when RealStudio OmegaBundle started but goes no where. already give up many years ago.

I had the same luck Richard. I’ve got a license for Valentina from one of the Omega Bundle offerings and have never used it. I gave up and finally rested on CubeSQL. I love the idea of the reports for Valentina and I’ve installed the latest version of the server but I hate to fork over more $$$.$$.

i used to use the OTR report which wasn’t support anymore. i want to try the Valentina Report but give up after trying to get it work.
I now use HTMLViewer to show the reports and use the wkhtmltopdf to generate the pdf. I do purchase DynaPDF earlier this year but haven’t use it yet.

Since SQLITE natively integrates the multi-user mode (WAL), I do not understand the value of a product as CubeSQL. Is not that a layer of fragility added to SQLITE? (I do not say that sarcastically, but I would understand the benefit of product)

1. Access a database that’s behind a firewall.
  2. Encryption of data that passes between client and server.
  3. User/Group management of who has access to which database.

Some of the reasons I enjoy using it.

Joseph C, I like the owl drawing comparison. Ha!

Ruslan, I know you’d like to move this conversation somewhere else since the thread is ridiculously long now. I look forward to the forum that Lynn mentioned as it seems to be a venue that most people including myself would prefer (over mailing lists).

I appreciate your offer to Skype and I will email you should the need arrive. :slight_smile:

Now, I have seen several people ask for better/more simplified documentation. I believe if you included a Basic tutorial pdf and basic sample projects with the demo distributions of the adk it would go a long way to increase your market share. Perhaps Something titled “Valentina up and running in 10 minutes”, “Start here”, “Connect to local Valentina DB” or for me it would have helped to have “Connect to VServer using V4RB”. Any of those or a variation of them would probably convert more of your prospects in to clients. As a business man, it aches me to see money walking out the door and that is what appears to be happening to Valentina-DB in the absence of simplified documentation for VServer and V4RB.

The current set of examples shows lots if not ALL the features which is probably great selling point because it shows the capabilities and possibly the competitive advantage Valentina has over it’s competition. As Joseph C mentioned there’s too much info in there to read and get simple projects started or ported (from SQLLite/CubeSQL for example) and get them up and running. Hopefully that is something that can be worked on for the sake of those trying out valentina for the first time.

All this being said, I got my project ported over to valentina as of this morning from CubeSQL/Sqllite. It was way easier this time around than my first time years ago. And at first glance there have been several improvements since I stopped with valentina back in '08. Vstudio is much improved and is stable now (IMO it wasn’t stable enough for my needs back in '08). I just wanted to mention that to others who are considering Valentina. It may be worth a look if you can get past the starting line, you may like it.

Joseph, is it possible to explain in detail what i need to do to move from SQLite/CubeSQL. i need my application to use either one with a change in the indicator.

also maybe some instruction on how to setup the embedded version if single user and the server version if multi user.

i just notice i can’t edit my posting which i did a second ago.

As a long-time Valentina user I simply tend to ask on the mailing list. The documentation wiki is rather thin. My biggest problem is the russian-english. I can barely read it and it’s almost not-understanable. I tell the Valentina people at least once a year that a better documentation would really really help…

There must be a language barrier here as I’ve once again passed the point of “never-mind.” Constructively, I offer this feedback: There are plenty of alternatives out there, and I guarantee I could deploy db apps based on MSSQL, Oracle, Postresql, etc. without having to email or Skype the db developers for help with setting up the development environment. Even if your product (Valentina) were superior in every technical way, it won’t matter; realizing that books are not to be judged by their covers, the simple truth is that they are. I believe people naturally infer opinions regarding the quality of your product based on the quality of your website and product documentation. Quite frankly, those materials currently present themselves as an incoherent mess. I suspect Valentina is a good product, and I hope they can figure out how to communicate that to me someday.

Just want to chime in that as a Valentina user since version 2, I can understand the complaints about documentation, learning curve, etc. But I’ve found that once things are up and running, Valentina works like a champ and the support is first class.

I’ve not upgraded since version 4.3 because I only use Valentina as a single client database and have no need of the Server capabilities. But seeing the Omegabundle offer, I decided it is too good to pass up. I just downloaded the latest ADK to try it out and the upgrade was seamless. I remember the headaches in upgrading from version 2 to 3 and then 3 to 4 so this experience is welcome. I can’t really say I’m surprised because the folks at Paradigma work their asses off to make users happy.

none of this would be necessary if the company xojo do the job and fix the bugs

What?

what bugs are you referring to Alexis??

I tried 4 of them.

Yes. It autocompletes for Valentina and Valentina shows up in my insert menu for adding a database.

Thanks for the offer. I’ve never skyped in my life. Maybe email. Can you confirm for me which examples work for you? That would save me a lot of time. If I could get an example up and running it would probably solve a lot of my questions.