The Feedback Points System

I disagree with just about everything you’ve said.

11 Likes

Geoff has asked several times for specifics about your issues so he can address them, but it doesn’t seem like you are willing to provide any details.

Let’s get this thread back on topic, which is about the Feedback points system.

3 Likes

Well you can shut it down, if that’s how you want to win.

I will say nothing further on this matter.

1 Like

Geoff was just trying to get more information on the specific issues you are having. We want to help but without that information it makes it hard to address your concerns.

5 Likes

<https://xojo.com/issue/56900>
This one is not stopping us from building apps, but the Xojo IDE became that slow, we stopped developing (for and) on macOS.

3 Likes

How about announcing how you pick cases from the backlog to be fixed/implemented for the next release?
Beside working on Web 2.0 for 2020r2, you guys may want to maybe pick a few cases to enjoy developers, e.g. with a few bug fixes and maybe a few little improvements to the debugger?

6 Likes

While perhaps not the most important one, there’s one I often think about because I feel it’s being ignored for no obvious reason. For me, it actually prevents building an application with the features I want.
<https://xojo.com/issue/29305>

This report is 7 years old, verified.
Maybe it’s not the best example I could tell in term of number of users impacted, but it’s the one I usually refer to for showing bugs can stay open for years and is still impacting.

Thank you for having started this thread, btw.

2 Likes

How about a couple that have been languishing for years, one verified and one reviewed. Neither are “showstopper” bugs because I can work around them, but both are in things that are basic functionality and, I would argue, should have been addressed by now.

<https://xojo.com/issue/20671> REALBasic.Rect.HorizontalCenter and REALBasic.Rect.VerticalCenter can not be set correctly

<https://xojo.com/issue/24322> Using XMLDocument.ImportNode prevents XMLNode.GetAttribute from working

The latter is ranked 122 at the moment. I’m not sure how long it’s been hanging around at that ranking, but I suspect it has been a long time. It bit me recently, which brought it back to mind.

To tie this to the feedback points system, the Top 5 system really doesn’t allow me to express via points what is important to me in all of Xojo. Xojo has broad scope and I use a lot of it (though only on desktop). If I have one bug that is important to me that is platform specific for each desktop platform and rank that in my top 5, I’ve got two other slots to address cross-platform issues or feature requests. If priorities are going to be set by the number of people expressing interest in a bug or feature request, we need a way to give you a better indication where we think you should focus. I like the idea of a bigger pool of points to spread around with the flexibility to determine how many points to assign to a particular entry. That way it gives an indication of how important something might be (# of points assigned) as well as how broadly the user community is interested (# of users assigning points of any value). I also think that the number of points available should be based at least in part on the license level since the users with Pro licenses are going to be doing more than just desktop and may have issues that are more critical to revenue generation than someone like me who uses Xojo for developing open-source applications and applications to support my coworkers and me at my day job.

1 Like

When you said “There’s a workaround” your case was flagged as “this is not important”. So Xojo, with time, became very workarounds dependent.

3 Likes

The “bug” with the case listed twice did never hurt me plus I could not reproduce it anymore, so I created no case for that.

The important issue for me (unreviewed cases being able to earn points) resulted in feature request <https://xojo.com/issue/61860>

Not sure what you mean by

This.

3 Likes

Same here too @Alain_Bailleul. Thank you for speaking for folks like us @Juyoun_Park. Your voice is appreciated.

3 Likes

personally i do not like the current system. i find the likes system much simpler. to avoid a user giving likes to everything, you can limit it to a maximum of 10 likes per user.
in addition, it would be good if all feedback users could give likes, not only those who have purchased the pro license

Hey - I made that case my current top priority to boost its rank. Hope that helps!

+1

I’m fine with the current feedback system.

I would like more documentation and examples for the PDF feature - that feature is likely to get a LOT of testing / usage.

i think more man(or girl) power is need to reduce the bug and feature request list.
voting for something and the others are still waiting is not a good solution.
and maybe more carefully work to prevent new bugs what will save a huge amount of time in the end for all.

3 Likes

Great news for an almost 5 year old problem. This is also representative of many other reports. This is what folks like @Juyoun_Park are pointing out here. I have Linux reports dating back to 2014 and a few other general reports that date back to Fogbugz days. For many of us, the feedback system is just a PR bandaid since so many of our important reports are still showing as “Needs Review”, let alone moving to the “Duplicated” or “Verified” status that we suspect leads to “Fixed”.

@Geoff_Perlman, have any of your team actually used any Xojo IDE from 2017r3 to 2020r-whatever on a Linux system for more than 10 minutes? Many of us have reported and discussed the Copy/Cut/Paste/Undo memory leaks for years, yet they still exist. When I gave you a list of reports, your response was to ask me for a more concise list of absolutes - they are all absolutes - each of them makes using the IDE under Linux a nightmare.

Since my group see no further opportunity for enterprise level business apps on macOS, my team has shifted to a completely new product paradigm focused on real-world server tools that depend upon a stable Linux platform. Outside of the maintenance of existing Xojo projects that we simply can’t ignore, we’ve moved everything new to JavaFX and wxPython. And part of that is because the feedback system is so useless from our side of the connection and we can’t depend on reports even getting noticed, let alone fixed.

You asked what would help make Feedback better - how about changes that provide the knowledge that what we report is actively examined and acted upon?

3 Likes

Exactly the point some of us are making. “We” shouldn’t need to remind “you” of what’s in the feedback system. If we took the time to submit a report, it’s obviously important to us.

7 Likes

That’s just it—Dana was replying to Juyoun’s avoidance to site a specific case or share any details about the workaround that took months, after Geoff called out the fact that only one (apparently unrelated) bug was ever submitted to Feedback, nor any attempt to contact support for help. So it seems there’s nothing there to be reminded of in this case.

Yay, I discovered Bold too! Hey, maybe if we make all text bold from now on, nothing can be bold. My eyes! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes