textfield format mask issue

I changed my region to Australia and ran the project and everything behaved as expected.

[quote=163669:@Andrew Willyan]ok.
Further testing. The above project you linked does the same bad behaviour for me on Mac Mavericks.
I run remote debugger and it works fine in Windows 8.1
Were you testing on Mac or PC?
Thanks for your time and effort so far.[/quote]

I made an ran this project on an iMac 2011 Yosemite 10.10.2 with region Australia. 2014R3.2. Which version of Xojo are you using ?

Thanks for testing. Are you running mac 10.10.2 and xojo 2014r3.2?

I’m on Mavericks

My specs are:

Macbook Air Mid 2011
Yosemite 10.10.2
Xojo 2014R3.2
Timezone set to Australia, Brisbane.

If I change to timezone, to anywhere else other than Australia, it works. Set to Australia, it does not.

Cheers

Changing Language & Region has no effect.
Only when changing Timezone in Date & Time Pref Pane does this occur.
Please confirm you have changed Timezone to Australia, Brisbane to test?

Thanks so much!

[quote=163682:@Andrew Willyan]My specs are:

Macbook Air Mid 2011
Yosemite 10.10.2
Xojo 2014R3.2
Timezone set to Australia, Brisbane.

If I change to timezone, to anywhere else other than Australia, it works. Set to Australia, it does not.[/quote]

Wait. Timezone in Date & Time has nothing to do with date format.

You got to change the region in Language & Region to
English (Australia)
Add a prefered language and move it to the top. You may have to restart the Mac to have that taken into account.

Jason and I have tested with the Region set to Australia.

I know it should have nothing to do with it. But thats what is happening.
I can set region to Aus and timezone to uk and it works.
Set region to aus and timezone to aus and no go
set region to uk and timezone to aus and no go
Only the timezone effects this issue.
I have noticed any timezone on the right hand side of the world does this.
So some russia and some china zones do it too.

Please humour me and test with your timezone setting changed to Aus

Thanks!

Fwiw, I abandoned Mask and Format a long time ago. To say they do something “intelligent” is very generous. Use KeyDown and LostFocus and write a few lines of code to get what you want.

I might have to at this rate! lol
I was going to do some extra work with the field anyhow, but I would love the mask to work, one less thing i would have to code.

An interesting thing I notice while selecting English(Australia) in Regions is the note :
“While applications and web pages can use the selected language, it is not fully supported by OS X.”

OK. Now the problem with Brisbane time manifests here in a different way. No separators, and it lets me enter 8 digits. So, bug confirmed.

That said, I agree with Tim : mask is not adequate for a really good date entry. Days should not be allowed to be more than 31, months should not be more than 12, and ultimately, it should not be possible to enter things like 31/02/2014, since February never has 31 days. If you do not feel like writing verification routines, why not use three popupmenus in a raw : one for days, the next for months, the last one for years ? That way you insure the coherence of data entry without programing.

Thanks for confirming.

I have a date picker that can be selected, but my clients are used entering in the data manually.
I was going to do a bit of extra work with the text field to confirm date was valid, just though if I could get the mask to work, it would be a good head start.
Thanks again everyone for your help.

ok solved!

On mac with timezone set to aus (and some others like some of russia and some of china) to get the mask to work correctly:
Instead of using ##/##/####
use ##\/##\/####
So it would be good practise to use this mask if planning to place your software in these timezones or perhaps to just use it as a general rule?

Cheers

[quote=163727:@Andrew Willyan]On mac with timezone set to aus (and some others like some of russia and some of china) to get the mask to work correctly:
Instead of using ##/##/####
use ##\/##\/####
So it would be good practise to use this mask if planning to place your software in these timezones or perhaps to just use it as a general rule?[/quote]

Glad to read you got it working. Actually, this makes perfect sense, and is documented for Format http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Format

In a way, it is ##/##/#### which should not work at all, since forward slash should be escaped, the way you did.

What is curious is how setting the timezone makes the bug appear.