TabOrder is not followed

You seem to be stuck (pretty in extremis). Adding keydown tab navigation is robust, and can get you moving again.

Because itā€™s an internal app itā€™s more an annoyance than something I need to stop the world over. If it were for a client it would be an embarrassment, assuming they noticed it. THAT is when I would hold the presses and fix it. In this context, I will finish up the app, hope I accidentally do something to shake it loose, probably spelunk around to understand what is happening if possible, and if need be, do the keydown thing. I just started this thread to see if there was some simple thing I was overlooking, or a well known kick-it-in-the-shins fix.

You keep saying this. are you referring to a ā€œControl Setā€ in this case?

No, just controls on different tabs of a Tab control. The sort order dialog will segregate things that arenā€™t in true containers in terms of runtime instance containership, like tabs or rectangles in the layout, such that you drill down into the controls on a tab for instance and order them within that level. So this app has 1 window, several tabs and it is the controls associated with one of the tabs that is not obeying the tab order. In fact within one of the other tabs there are a couple of DesktopRectangles with controls on them and thatā€™s yet another level down in the tab order dialog but everything works correctly in that more complex situation.

I take the liberty of intervening (maybe Iā€™m saying nonsense): are the controls placed inside groupboxes or rectangles? in that case you should put the groupbox with tabindex next to the control from which to ā€œgetā€ to its content. After that the order inside the group box can start again from 0 or 1 (in practice I seem to have verified that the hierarchy level of the ā€œcontainer-containedā€ controls is taken into account

Is there any chance that you could copy this window into a separate project so someone else could look at it?

The controls in question are not in group boxes or rectangles. They are just associated with a tab of a tab control. It happens that the textbox controls where tab order IS working ARE inside rectangles, on a different tab. There is also a listbox and a textbox outside those rectangles, which also flow properly.

I want to put this issue aside while I work to complete the bulk of the solution functionality. Iā€™ll circle back to it in a month or so. Right now it is a side show. I just wanted to make sure I wasnā€™t missing something about tab order setup and apparently Iā€™m not.

I appreciate everyoneā€™s interest and suggestions, but I donā€™t have the bandwidth to try to boil this down to a demo sample at the moment.