Stuck with Xojo Web and Xojo cloud

Thanks Anthony, it’s absolutely no problem if bugs arise but the bugs I am currently facing, stop me from getting the project done, and Feedback does not give a solution. Thank you for the Plupload info. I will try that. I loved Real Studio and Xojo in the early days a lot.

1 Like

Thanks Ivan!

Thanks Adam, I did not expect to need to go back so far in history, but if I can save the project, this is worth trying.

That’s an interesting case, but to clarify to anyone reading, what’s being lost in your case is RowTag data. What’s really interesting, is that if you change how you populate your debugging string, you can get it to not fail pretty easily:

Listbox1.RemoveAllRows

Var tags() As String
For Each name As String In DataArray
  Listbox1.AddRow(name,"")
  Listbox1.RowTagAt(Listbox1.LastAddedRowIndex) =  name
  tags.Add listbox1.RowTagAt(listbox1.LastAddedRowIndex)
  Listbox1.CellValueAt(Listbox1.LastAddedRowIndex, 1) = tags(tags.Ubound)
Next

MessageBox("RowTagAt: " + Join(tags,", "))

I’m happy to look at it more in depth on Monday when I’m back at work.

5 Likes

Thanks Greg.

The issue is: the Xojo team requires a test project, a barebone project that narrows to the problem. That’s what I build, but that is not a representation of my project. We all can see your not putting the actual Rowtags in the Messagebox.

It’s not only the RowTag that gets corrupted, also the selected row. Although the table shows it is selected, the moment the RowTag gets corrupted also the SelectedRowIndex is gone. When the user selects another row, there is no reference anymore and selectedrowindex does not provide the selected row.

1 Like

Right, and if you look at your case, it’s been moved to Verified and as I said, I’m happy to look at it on Monday when I’m back from holiday.

@Wim_van_Dijk:

Several years back I had a similar need requiring a WebListBox to hold multiple rows and columns beyond the limits that existed all before XOJO Web 2 came out. I made the switch back then to Graffiti Suite Web to implement that WebListBox called a Grid. I was working on a release and was very close.

Then the ‘new’ XOJO RAD came out and moving into Web 2 direction was slow for everyone. Staying with it and waiting for updates paid off. In very short order (less than several months) Graffiti Suite had a majority of controls updated to work with the new RAD and Web 2 framework. This also included the WebUploader and PDF converter as well. The PDF converter takes some getting used to but I now have multiple page outputs with header, page # properly incrementing derived from one of several DBs that collect data from using the WE app all ready for download once processed.

I have eventually incorporated many of the Graffiti Suite capabilities to include ToolBar (Buttons & Menu), Font Controls, Progress Indicators, and am now working on an accordion aspect to clear up some needed viewing real estate.

This was not easy but in the end I have a working secure SaaS solution on the XOJO Web 2 platform. The XOJO RAD and Graffiti Suite work well together as does MonkeyBread for Excel Spreadsheet work I also have incorporated into this solution. I publish on a Mac Mini with SSD and maxed out ram. Still looking to improve the speed and functionality but who isn’t.

I have used several other platforms and despite being disappointed several times with XOJO in comparison though I get more inclusive and fully functioning solutions verses figuring out how to integrate JSON, XML, JAVA etc on other platforms. In conclusion all I am saying is that the combination of XOJO RAD, Graffiti Suite, and Monkey Bread work well for me and I am still learning.

5 Likes

Web 2.00 still has rough edges. For a simple application, you may want to use Web 1.00 instead.

1 Like

If you want to have an application wich technology is supported in the next couple of months (not to speak years), then this is a bad idea.

Web 1.0 is dead. They don`t fix bugs (which it has plenty) nor are they bringing new IDE versions or improvements.

I highly recomment to not use a product which already discontinued by its vendor.

The OP seems to want to do a fairly simple app. He probably won’t need tons of support :smiley:

Famous last words? If you start a project with abandoned, deprecated, or unsupported technologies – regardless of project complexity – you’re asking for trouble. Eventually something will break and there’s no guarantee that it won’t happen the day you release your project to the world. The developer would then have to scramble to either fix it themselves or recode/convert to a modern release.

2 Likes

Sigh. I feel there is a huge amount of dogmatism, here.

1 Like

No, just responsible development. If you don’t build on something that’s already outdated, your project will have a longer lifespan.

Sigh, again.

I mean, Xojo has taught us, that even if you’re on a living platform, it can be discontinued from one day to another.

But while Web 1 still is far more stable than Web 2 in some cases, Web 2 is now 1 year around and web 1 hasn’t got an update for 1.5 years. So no one should be surprised if a Web 1 project has a way smaller its life span.

I personally cannot recommend Web 2.0 either (yet). Bad situation for OP.

1 Like

Lots of choices, but no good choices. :frowning:

1 Like

We 2.0 has more bugs and is taking years to be fixed. Design flaws will take a lot more (if any fix is done)

well, the same happens with web 2, many things broken and there is no warantee of a fix, nor a timeframe to do it.

Lets talk about all of those who spent weeks or months coding a web2 app just to realize that the webuploader corrupts the files :man_facepalming:t2: sure, its marked as fixed but, what about all those months before the release and their work was a waste of time? (Answer here: but you can use a third party or an a workaround :roll_eyes:)

At least with web 1 you know what you have and not have to worry if xojo broke another thing on the next release.

2 Likes

I agree. Bugs suck. They suck worse when you have no recourse at all with the toolset developer because you’re using an unsupported version.

1 Like

You should have reached the conclusion by yourself, no need for a long thread of opinionated statements: by all means, HTML, PHP and Javascript, at least, won’t stab you in the back.

Plus you can host the program on pretty much any service.

1 Like