Source Control SVN Question

Like greg I never use switch
I just have multiple working copies
Far easier on my sanity

Sure but that didn’t work either

That’s why I tried switch instead in case there was some kind of conflict between the two local working copies folder

Dunno what to say
I’m not using smartsvn
And I dont have this issue
I merge between local &/or remote copies all the time (literally all the time)

Well like Norman and Greg, I’d suggest you not use “switch” for this, in fact I don’t often use “switch”.

I’m a user of SmartSVN, so I can’t tell you if there is some special trick to doing this… but did you actually do a merge/commit from the branch to the trunk, resolving an issues as you went?

I first tagged the test release and then created a branch.

Then I checked out out the branch into another working directory (above the trunk) so I had two parallel working driectories…trunk and branch in the same SmartSVN project.

I then made changes in the branch working directory via Xojo, saved those changes and then committed those changes to the repo via SmartSVN.

I then went back to the trunk in SmartSVN and tried to merge and this is what happens.

So it basically happens whether I switch or check out.

In answer to your question, no I did not make any merge/commit from branch to the trunk or resolve any issues as I went because I wanted to work on some test changes in the branch and then go back to the trunk to see how merge works.

I would understand if SmartSVN was seeing the branch files as all being different if it goes by modification date because the branch was “checked out” and so they were downlaoded from my repo to my computer…but there were no other content changes made to them so the SmartSVN diff algorithm should see that. Only the window changed by having a button added to it.

I think I’ve solved it. On the merge window I had selected “All revisions (not yet merged)” but then when I selected manually revisions 12-15 it worked. 12 was the first change after the branch was created and 15 was the last change.

So it seems the error must be my understanding of what “All revisions (not yet merged)” means. To a layman that means all changes made in that branch that are not currently in the trunk. But clearly it does not.

[quote=255511:@Denise Adams]
So it seems the error must be my understanding of what “All revisions (not yet merged)” means. To a layman that means all changes made in that branch that are not currently in the trunk. But clearly it does not.[/quote]

Well done, part of the learning curve. While the command line options are all the same, the various GUIs go their own way!

Thanks. Yes, I’m just glad I decided to test all this out on a test project and not a real one!

Hi Bob, Absolute opposite for me, I can’t stand the IDE on MAC :slight_smile:

I currently use TT’s ZipClasses in my project and there are some files in the “private” sub folder that are in xojo_binary_code format even though the rest of my project is saved in xojo_project format.

Sometimes when I commit to the repo SmartSVN seems to think these files have changed even if they haven’t.

Do I need to change their file format (if even possible??) or do I have to mark them as “binary” in the SmartSVN project settings?

Or is there another solution?

they’re likely “external” ?

How would I find that out and what does that mean exactly?

They are within the main source control trunk and project folder.

Path: “…ZipPackage\ZipSupport\Private”

open your project and look at the icons on them
external items would have a little arrow badge on them
or right click on one of these & see if it says “make internal”

they may just be encrypted which means you just treat them as binary items as you can view the source anyway

Ok thanks, I’ll check. If they are external should I “make internal”?

What’s the difference? Does external mean it is referencing a file somewhere else on the computer?

And if they are encrypted (which could well be the case) do I need to mark them as “binary” in SmartSVN so it handles them differently?

[quote=256173:@Denise Adams]Ok thanks, I’ll check. If they are external should I “make internal”?
What’s the difference? Does external mean it is referencing a file somewhere else on the computer?
[/quote]
That would allow you to save them as text format

[quote=256173:@Denise Adams]
And if they are encrypted (which could well be the case) do I need to mark them as “binary” in SmartSVN so it handles them differently?[/quote]
Yes as they are “binary blobs” as far as SVN goes so you should treat them that way
It should make it so it doesn’t try to do diff’s as it has no clue how to diff binary files & show you the differences, nor can it merge differences

Thanks, Norman!

Which is not possible with encrypted items, though, right?

Unless, of course, she uses Arbed to have SmartSvn diff them with it :slight_smile:

The problem appears to be that the encrypted items, being saved with an older IDE, get rewritten every time by the new IDE, even if nothing has changed. That appears to be an “unexpected behavior” in the new IDE.

Thanks for clarifying, Thomas!