Some controls not drawing transparent in Windows

The label takes the background of the parent control, which is the form. It’s not transparent as you can see.

[quote=288796:@Steve Kelepouris]Ah right, I think I see what you are getting at.

Looks like you used Visual Basic - I’m using Xojo and intend to stick with it.[/quote]

You are mistaken. You are reading something that is not there. Of course stick with Xojo. I am not asking you to change to VB. Just showing that the issue can be achieved if 3 years ago, they had asked for BackColor and not transparency. Transparency is really not doable for all Windows native controls but BackColor is. BackColor has been in Windows native controls long long time ago and it is what I am trying to show :- an 18-year-old discontinued product can already do it back then.

BackColor is not supporting transparency.

I am not sure Win32 controls can have backcolor. I know .NET controls have it ; yet another reason why Xojo should have implemented that platform long ago.

The best I could do was to come up with my own controls based on Canvas to obtain transparency. I do not have a slider, though.

I do know they are different. If the background is a photo/picture or color gradient and you want a control over it that is transparent then this will be a problem. But I won’t force it if Windows system really do not make it possible. For the original toolbar issue and the example project that was attached 3 years ago where the background is a fixed color, the problem can be solved with BackColor, IF they are implemented. BackColor is available from Windows system.

Most of the time, BackColor solve a lot of what is needed but many mistakenly asked for transparency that cannot be done.

@Michel Bujardet where would you be without the canvas control ? :slight_smile:

Well, this is all too much for my tiny little mind.

Obviously I stumbled upon an ongoing issue known only to those on this forum with more experience than myself. By the looks of it, it’s been bietch slapped about for many years - and unresolved, as in an elegant solution, rather than hacks and work-arounds.

I almost wish I never revived this thread.

I got a bit sidetracked and was looking at the aesthetics. For now, I think I’ll just plod on with the code. At least I’ll only have myself to blame if there are unexpected results :slight_smile:

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed.

One moment, I was “Skipping through fields with flowers in my hair, hand-in hand with my beautiful Xojo” the next moment, I look around only to find my devoted loving hands are clasped in the claws of my ugly second cousin.

tee hee.

Anyway, I’ve got a Mac where I work so I’ve been able to check it out. At this stage I haven’t come across these issues - all looks nice. So it’s more of an OS issue - good if it was properly addressed though.

Cheers.

.NET WinForms controls are the native controls, so they do not support transparency. WPF does.

I was not talking about transparency, but about back color.

It would already be a big progress.

Yes, indeed, that would be very helpful (I commented because the thread is actually about transparency).