SMTP email in 2020r2 broken

You need to be sure ms has an instance of SMTPSecureSocket. You don’t want to create a new instance if one is already busy.

if ms = nil then
  ms = new SMTPSecureSocket

end

ms.Address = emailServiceAddress
1 Like

Sorted the issue.

Here is my WORKING CODE:

If ms = Nil Then

ms = New SMTPSecureSocket

End If

ms.Address = "mail.serverwarp.com"
ms.Port = emailPort587
ms.SSLConnectionType = SSLSocket.SSLConnectionTypes.TLSv1
ms.SMTPConnectionType = SMTPSecureSocket.SMTPConnectionTypes.SSLTLS
ms.SMTPConnectionMode = 0
ms.SSLEnabled = True
ms.Username = emailname
ms.Password = emailPass

var mail as New EmailMessage
mail.FromAddress = emailname
mail.AddRecipient("amy@lltconnect.com")
mail.Subject = "test email"
mail.BodyPlainText = "testing some new code."
mail.Headers.AddHeader("X-Mailer","SMTP Test")

ms.Messages.Add(mail)

Try

ms.SendMail

Catch e As RuntimeException

MessageBox(e.Message)

End Try
1 Like

I filed a Feedback case regarding the documentation online -

63367 - Bug: Documentation - SMTPSecureSocket code not working in 2002r2

The Nil Object Exception was caused when I accidentally called the SendMail method of the SMTPSecureSocket property of the module directly instead of calling the sendTest method on the module.

[facepalm]

But I did learn that my code on a published app is broken. I will be porting all my apps over to 2020r2.

Same here, seems working fine with Xojo 2020r2.1

Registry key: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command
Set as: "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --single-argument %1

I get a silent failure on the exact working code with the newest version of Xojo. Did something change?

The only change I can think of is only if you are on macOS… that is that we updated the framework to the macOS 11 SDK for Intel. It’s certainly possible that TLSv1 is no longer available.

I suggest using the auto-negotiation mode by setting it to SSLv23 as was mentioned above. It’ll start with TLSv1.2 and work it’s way downward until it finds one that works.

I found out that I was adding in a second header BUT it’s still not working - I am going to run through my connection options later today when I wake back up, hopefully sleeping on it will end up shaking some ideas loose.

What I’ve found broken recently on SMTP was the combination SSL/TLS and protocol TLSv1.2. It does nothing. No connection, no error, no events… on Windows. It was freezing my app when the users configured it this way.

2 Likes

Wow. I may have to build / deploy to test it, then.

As soon as the user changed it to StartTLS it worked as expected.

1 Like

Well, it works perfectly as soon as I deployed it to Xojo’s servers while it failed miserably on testing in Windows.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience - you just saved me … not a small amount of work.

1 Like