SmallSystem font size

You should not use the word lame for a solid, working solution. You have the right to prefer that approach, but not to discount programming techniques based on other principles than your beloved API calls. I accept your apologies, but repeating a poor choice of word keeps the sore.

Perhaps my wording is not perfect, after all I’m not a native english speaker.
Still the solution can’t be defined as solid either, this is also poor wording.
As I said, what happens when Windows define the SmallSystem font as 7 (or smaller)?

But the fact remains, from a programming point of view, this is a poor solution, unnecessarily complicated and very prone to errors.
After many years of development I’ve learnt to always get the information directly from the source, when possible.
Hence I’d use a such approach only as the last resort, if any.

[quote=186261:@Massimo Valle]Perhaps my wording is not perfect, after all I’m not a native english speaker.
Still the solution can’t be defined as solid either, this is also poor wording.
As I said, what happens when Windows define the SmallSystem font as 7 (or smaller)?[/quote]

Then, as have done typographer since centuries before computing existed, my method will compare the size of a line composed in System zero to successive lines composed in increasing sizes. Then pick the one of equal length. I have started my method at 8, it can start at any size. What I have done is a computing method based on an age old method used by countless typographers since Gutenberg. I’ll say that is pretty solid.

[quote]But the fact remains, from a programming point of view, this is a poor solution, unnecessarily complicated and very prone to errors.
After many years of development I’ve learnt to always get the information directly from the source, when possible.
Hence I’d use a such approach only as the last resort, if any.[/quote]

I will leave the “very prone to error” to your summary judgement. You seem to have an irrepressible contempt for pragmatic solutions. No doubt if you were designing stools, you would prefer gyroscopes and circuitry over a simple tripod.

Indeed the system can probably provide the information you seek. But you should not denigrate other approaches to validate your preference. That is utterly unpleasant.

I’m not denigrating, just evaluating solutions and deciding what’s the best one for a computer (not for a human).
Im sorry you see things in that way.