Serious flaw in IDE Find

If text is highlighted doesn’t mean the entity containing it has the focus. The problem, essentially, is that the focus is not where you want it to be, or think it is. I have also had the business where I have a method, I change the signature (say), or return value type, and then start typing again without clicking in the coding area again and without noticing that the cursor over there is NOT, in fact, blinking.

If you’re in the coding area and highlight some text there, then click elsewhere in the IDE and press delete, do you still expect that highlighted text to be deleted?

It’s possible to delete whole methods by accident. If you click in the navigator to highlight a method, then click it again to “really” highlight it, (but I don’t mean a double-click), then click in the method code and select something. Now if you accidentally click in the navigator again, and press delete then POUF! your whole method vanishes.

Pre-Xojo IDE. How’s that?

1 Like

I agree, I miss REALbasic 4 as well.

2 Likes

I have encountered the same bug as you many times, and not ony on the Find, the focus can jump from any other place. As Bob Keeney pointed out, the ide focus system is flawed not even the Tab Key works. And about the feedback, when you start reporting it is normal to expect a solution BUT, there are LOTS of reproducible cases that have being there for YEARS. I myself have some of them about focus so… better get used to the way xojo works, maybe some day will be fixed or the IDE replaced.

All good points folks. And I think we all agree that if a single keystroke can completely trash a project by unexpectedly deleting a main window or big class without warning, there is a serious problem. That was my point, and i hoped it would’ve garnered more immediate attention from Xojo.

2 Likes

Re-reading the entire thread, I see now that I’d forgotten just how it started. Your issue is more serious IMO because, in fact, the focus is clearly where you intended - inside the Search field. So, sorry if I went off at a tangent a bit. But there is an issue of focus and how to make it clearer where it is and also where it is not.

2 Likes

It was probably a side effect of this <https://xojo.com/issue/64974> as it didn’t happen in the previous version. It doesn’t happen in windows which is nice, yay +1 for windows :wink:

1 Like

+1-753632298099609645=not so much :wink:
(I’m kidding, somehow)

1 Like

It’s not just find. In the latest Xojo, I’ve been mid-code to press the backspace, only for the entire method to delete. If I set focus to another app or window, then return to the code editor, the issue resolves, otherwise it persists. This has existed for years and is random in most cases, so never reproducable with any sort of consistency. First I’ve seen this issue with find, but great to know! (Windows)

2 Likes

How about Add an Event ?

You are coding in a ListBox (a Control…), then add an Event and that event is added to the Window…

Any one else have clicked on an event and start typing just to realize that somehow you are editing the EVENT NAME??

Undo doesnt work here, so you have to CUT all the code, delete the event and ad it again :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have been bitten by this as well. And since I only have a Lite license, version control is not available to me.

Using external items is possible in the Lite version. Even in Binary format SVN or Git works good enough to save your behind if you screw something up.