recordset is nil, mySQL query works in workbench

Now this is insane. With no changes to the server or anywhere else in my address book program, I just rearranged the code and suddenly the old method without ’ ’ works. When I removed the ’ ’ last time, I must have had some other syntax problem (but there were no errors). I have given up trying to figure out what I had done wrong 5 hours ago along with how I could get a rs = Nil without error. Anyway, the method now updates the records as I have been wanting to since yesterday, while the PS version of the method still is not updating the records.

Rather than taking this victory with a ice cold Corona and a tube of Pringles, of course I am now fixated on why this works

Dim rs As RecordSet = db.SQLSelect("SELECT * FROM contact_table WHERE idContact = " + RecordID.Text + ";")

but this does not

Dim ps As PreparedSQLStatement = db.Prepare("SELECT * FROM contact_table WHERE idContact =  ?;")
ps.BindType(0, MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_DOUBLE)
ps.Bind(0, val(RecordID.Text))
Dim rs As RecordSet = ps.SQLSelect

nor does this work

Dim ps As PreparedSQLStatement = db.Prepare("SELECT * FROM contact_table WHERE idContact =  ?;")
ps.BindType(0, MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_STRING)
ps.Bind(0, RecordID.Text)

The rest of the method code being identical.

I was thinking the TYPE_DOUBLE could be screwing something up so I tried STRING, which is what the top one is doing, but as I mentioned, it doesn’t update either. The strange thing is all 3 snippets above give rs identical record contents, but the rs.Edit and rs.Update methods are only working on the top one. I can’t get rs.Edit and rs.Update methods to work with the PS style recordset.

I really like this concept of Prepared Statement so I am working hard trying to get the PS version to work so that I can use it with confidence in the future. That and I am a glutton for punishment.

PreparedSQLStatement is the base class. You need to use the database-specific variant, namely MySQLPreparedStatement.

Do you think the examples on that page are wrong? For example this code:

Dim ps As PreparedSQLStatement = _ db.Prepare("SELECT * FROM Persons WHERE Name = ? AND Age >= ?")

Tim,

I followed that page’s sample code without success.

Note that the sample code for that Dim As PreparedSQLStatement but then binds at MySQLPreparedStatement, which I tried to do. I also took a shot at Dim ps As MySQLPreparedStatement = but it tossed and error for the ‘Dim As’ line “Can’t find a type with this name MySQLPreparedStatement”

This is my code that correctly retrieves record contents (rs), modeled after the guide’s sample code.

ps.BindType(0, MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_STRING)
ps.Bind(0, RecordID.Text)

So really, PS does work BUT, I cannot then use the rs.Edit and rs.Update methods on the resulting rs. The other way,

Dim rs As RecordSet = db.SQLSelect("SELECT * FROM contact_table WHERE idContact = " + RecordID.Text + ";")

works with the rs.Edit and rs.Update methods. For now I am just using this code for a functioning editing method and will try getting ps working with rs.Edit and rs.Update methods tomorrow (if it is even possible).

Try using MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_LONG for idContact if its shown as an INT in workbench.

I’m not a fan of how https://documentation.xojo.com/api/databases/mysqlpreparedstatement.html lists constants that don’t directly relate to MySQL :: MySQL 8.0 Reference Manual :: 11.1.2 Integer Types (Exact Value) - INTEGER, INT, SMALLINT, TINYINT, MEDIUMINT, BIGINT

It might be a legacy thing, I’ve not been around Xojo long enough to know but it seems a little confusing, maybe a doc tweak could be done to show the mappings or the sizes involved with the xojo constants as it seems a little vague.

send an email to docs@xojo or open a feedback case and @Paul Lefebvre will take care of it. he is awesome about doing doc updates based on people’s feedback.

A feature request is already in and outstanding since Oct 2014 <https://xojo.com/issue/36301>

Too bad Paul is only human :wink:
He always promote a direct contact with him (you can see the information on all webinars). I think that case is not on Paul’s radar and is better to do a more direct contact.