Printing on DOT MATRIX

Dot Matrix is widely used when printing on a carbonated document such as receipts and invoices.

EPSON LX 300-II provides USB cable to be connected on printer and pc/laptop.

Once the driver is installed, Windows assigned Virtual Port on it shown as “USB002”.

There is no LPT or COM installed after the driver is installed.

Following suggestion “c:/>print somefile.txt /D: USB002” , the printer still prints in graphic mode.

What I want is to print as DOS MODE printing so that I can count character per character length and estimate total column and row needed to print a report.

Here’s a sample project that encapsulates those declares in a module to make them easier to call:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2339n0uinee25tg/rawprint.rbp?dl=0

1 Like

If you are going to use a command like print, you need to use the generic/text only printer driver.

Install the Generic/Generic Text only printer driver, and assign it to the USB002 port

Make sure you check the box labeled “Enable Passthrough Mode”.

And you may want to disable print spooling.

Guys,

Tim shared the perfect solutions!

Thanks for all of your effort.

I hope this conversation will also reach other beginners who had same inquiry.

Thanks Tim!

You are welcome.

Have to thank Tim also!
I used your example to print to an Epson fx-890 printer that is attached to our domain at work. Your solution was a blessing :slight_smile:

not to be overly picky, but a dot-matrix isn’t a “line printer”. Line printers were used for mainframes and had a chain of characters that are struck with hammers - literally (almost) printing 132 character line at one-time - only delay is waiting for the correct character to line-up in front of the correct hammer. If memory serves, the IBM 1403 printed 1100 lines per minute…

link text