New DLLs when compiling. What for?

My complaint about this is that it seems as if the new DLLs are for the New Xojo Framework, but are now required by the EXE even if using the old framework. I have no issue with Xojo saying “new framework : new rules” but it’s unfortunate when such a giant DLL is forced upon folks just wanting to stick with the old framework for now.

@Michael Diehr - this is why my released apps are all either built with RS 12r2.1 or Xojo 13r3.3.

How the heck did we ever deal with multiple languages before ICU?

[quote=182931:@Tim Jones]@Michael Diehr - this is why my released apps are all either built with RS 12r2.1 or Xojo 13r3.3.
How the heck did we ever deal with multiple languages before ICU? [/quote]

Tim, I love eye-rolling as much as the next person, but you are misquoting me.

(Oh, wait: perhaps you are not quoting me but responding to me? I’m not used to the Twittter “@” notation).
In any case, I can’t tell if you are making fun of me or agreeing strongly with me. Hmm…

But back on topic: one reason REALbasic was so great was the simplicity : it could build a small self-contained EXE, as good as (or better than) using Visual C.

First we lost single-file-EXEs (for good reason) and then came the optional “Libs” folder (but could be avoided if you didn’t use the BevelButton) then it became mandatory, then other DLLs were mandatory. Latest is the mandatory “Resources” folder.

I miss the old days, and still wish that Xojo 2015 Rx had a “lite” mode - if you agree to not use certain features (bevelbutotns and Unicode and … ) you could still make a 3MB self-contained app.

Poorly, at least in some areas. See cases like <https://xojo.com/issue/28024>.

[quote=182931:@Tim Jones]@Michael Diehr - this is why my released apps are all either built with RS 12r2.1 or Xojo 13r3.3.

How the heck did we ever deal with multiple languages before ICU? [/quote]
In the old framework ?
Depending on the language it was right or possibly horribly wrong.
There are lots of cases where the old framework did the wrong thing.

[quote=182966:@Michael Diehr]Tim, I love eye-rolling as much as the next person, but you are misquoting me.

(Oh, wait: perhaps you are not quoting me but responding to me? I’m not used to the Twittter “@” notation).
In any case, I can’t tell if you are making fun of me or agreeing strongly with me. Hmm…[/quote]
Nope - I’m agreeing with you strongly :). The eye roll was humorously aimed at the Xojo folks.

[quote]But back on topic: one reason REALbasic was so great was the simplicity : it could build a small self-contained EXE, as good as (or better than) using Visual C.

First we lost single-file-EXEs (for good reason) and then came the optional “Libs” folder (but could be avoided if you didn’t use the BevelButton) then it became mandatory, then other DLLs were mandatory. Latest is the mandatory “Resources” folder.

I miss the old days, and still wish that Xojo 2015 Rx had a “lite” mode - if you agree to not use certain features (bevelbutotns and Unicode and … ) you could still make a 3MB self-contained app.[/quote]
Agreed. However, the single file EXE because a serious detriment for newer versions of Windows…

Xojo=Bloatware now.

Norman, is there any technical reason why the NEW framework items are strong-linked into the app? I could imagine a scenario in which the new framework only needed DLLs when used (e.g. have them be weak-linked).

Is that worth a feature request?