Missing .icns sizes?

Thanks Mike, hopefully someone out there will know how to do it :slight_smile:

Are the missing icon sizes the correct size? Resizing with Appleā€™s own tools can generate an image of unlatching sizes. I.e. Asking it to resize to 32 x 32 can result in 33 x 33 or 31 x 31. So Make sure that your images are the correct pixel width and height, density or DPI doesnā€™t actually matter.

Sam, they are all perfectly sized and checked by other people :frowning:

In the experiment above where iconutil skipped the 128x128@x2.png, I am absolutely certain it was the right size. I prepared all in Photoshop. And it was not identical to 256x256.png. So I do not understand why it was not included in the icns.

Maybe it would work better not to use iconutil and assemble the icns following the format described at
Apple Icon Image format - Wikipedia that seems relatively easy to use, or one of the tools listed at the bottom of that page to debug the issue.

There is one last thing you can try, use Xcode to create an objective-C application and drag your icon set into the Xcode. It will then generate a ICNS file from the iconSet, check this icon to see if it matches the one iconUtil creates.

If it doesnā€™t thereā€™s your answer, itā€™s not the first time that Apple havenā€™t updated their icon tools.

Also donā€™t be surprised if actually itā€™s doing itā€™s jobā€¦ Its just that Apple havenā€™t updated their documentation to match.

sorry if the text below appears above.

After a night, I realized that you can do stuff on OS X a bit different.

I suppose that you have an image as large as 512 x 512.

Run Xojo,
open the Icon Editor,
Paste your image at all sizes,
close Xojoā€™s Icon Editor,
build your application.

Open your application using a right-click to display the Finder contextual menu,

get your application icns file (copy it in another folder)
Now, open it and your original image with Preview
then resize your original image down to the required size and depth.

Once done, you have your custom icon in a correct (I hope so) icns file format. Copy the file back into your application and replace the old one.

She-bang !! ! !! ! !! !! !

Emile - thanks for the information, but I want to do this via Xojo :slight_smile:
I already own numerous apps which make .icns for me from an image, but I want to do it in MY app, via code.

Thanks for trying to help - much appreciated.