MBS SQL x XOJO Native

And just to add to Jeremy’s point, I’ve not had any issues with MySQL or PostrgreSQL and those have been in large projects. They’ve been rock solid so I must not be using them in the same way that others are to make them crash prone.

MS SQL Server is a different story. I’ve logged a number of critical bug reports against the native plugin and if I ever run into a project that specifically uses SQL Server I simply go straight to the MBS SQL plugin.

There are a lot of areas that need to some love. Hoping iOS comes out soon. And 64bit and LLVM and all the other things that are on their plate. Busy times at Xojo.

[quote]There are a lot of areas that need to some love. Hoping iOS comes out soon. And 64bit and LLVM and all the other things that are on their plate. Busy times at Xojo.
[/quote]

absolutely. now, as i’ve already said, i’m not claiming the MBS plugin is always better, as ive not got the experience, but, given that its consistent across platforms and known to be working well - and the xojo plugin is known to be inconsistent across DB’s, surely it makes sense to look at it? xojo use 3rd party for XML and Regex amongst others, so why not in the DB layer?

Shouldn’t be the same engineers.

Things I heard: Few MySQL DBs crashes or don’t connect. Some PostgreSQL crashes (I’ve read about a case of field named with mixed cases like “MyData” causing corruption on rs.Update() ). Maybe have more bugs.
Supporting just forward only cursors on DB servers like PostgreSQL is a shame. The missing features list probably goes on too.

same here. plus the SQLIte plugin. On my use of MySQL and PostgreSQL, I know I am not taxing the plugin or pushing its limits. The only plugins that I have pushed the limits on in any form is SQLite and cubSQL. and both were solid.

Now if I was a real DBA, I would probably pushing the plugins more.

i am using native SQLite only for small login and config file which sit next to the program. I used CubeSQL for the important data file and i don’t have any problem at all except once where the user at the outside office is updating thing and the server just got switch off. it corrupt the data file big time. can’t rescue the data file except going back to the backup file from previous day which i have setup the schedule on the CubeSQLAdmin.app during installation.

since i am using SQLite for small things, do u think i need to use the MBS version for SQLite plugin??

If the built-in plugin works fine for you, there is no need to change.

I think this is sound advice for all plugins/addons. if the built in works for you, why change?