MAS app rejected because "uses non-public APIs: Symbols: _getsectiondata"

Quicktime :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do you run a business? At the mercy of the Xojo framework, any user actually should have that expectation.

3 Likes

(assuming “removing QT” was the mistake)
I love QuickTime and can’t currently do some things without it. The way to edit movies and navigate, along with AppleEvent support is really worth keeping it alive.

No. But even without one, I’d also like Xojo to deliver updates faster.

I’d agree if Xojo’s model wasn’t the one they chose. Release cycles, as I see them, are somewhat incompatible with delivering in-the-middle updates.
At least, if Xojo was to deliver a new build (1) when any supported OS makes some significant changes and (2) at the end of a cycle, we’d already have Xojo2020r1528 as of today…

Apple decided that all apps that used quicktime should be rejected from the store & Xojo responded very quickly with a build that removed it and dependencies so apps could still be submitted
This appears to be no different

1 Like

As @Thomas_Tempelmann mentioned- it isn’t actually a private API and other Xojo apps are getting approved. You can either appeal or wait for Apple to fix the flag on getsectiondata.

We have also removed that call for a future release of Xojo (which you can try and use if you are a Tester) but we only did so out of an abundance of caution- it doesn’t rise to the level of another point release since a) we believe the rejection to be incorrect and will eventually be fixed on Apple’s side (you can appeal in the interim if needed) and b) other Xojo apps are still being approved.

2 Likes

I resubmitted the app without modification to the AppStore and this time, it got approved.

4 Likes

That’s great news! Thank you to Xojo for looking into this issue, this could have been a big problem!

3 Likes

I resubmitted my app this morning but it’s still pending review.
Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Apple reviews are still mostly a human process; it depends on the reviewer if your app gets approved or not. This has happened to me in the past as well; app got rejected, I submitted the same code and it was approved. So it’s always worth trying and usually reviewed within a day

1 Like

My app was finally refused but there’s no mention of the API, so I guess it’s ok for now.

Do you mean released?

No … refused.
It’s still the same problem with a screensaver included as ‘helper’ in a macOS app (see here).
I’m giving up trying to distribute it via the MAS.
Wasted too much time.

Oh man… Sorry to hear this, and that you’re still unable to release your application on the App Store. So are you selling this on your own site?

@Sam_Rowlands If the version without screensaver is accepted on MAS I’ll show a discrete link to sell the screensaver only from my website.
This will probably be rejected as well (Although Apple doesn’t provide any way to sell screensavers).
If rejected again … I don’t know. It was initially a POC for selling on MAS with IAP. The goal was not to make money, it ended up costing a lot of time and frustration.