macOS (sierra) Xojo applications status ?

Huh
Apparently that only caught on in some former colonies
Not here

Our government (on whom be the peace of the gods) has been a global leader in taxing its citizenry to the hilt. Even Canada must bow to such a display of rampant extortion. Pierre Trudeau might have been able to pull the wool with quantum computing, but no Canadian will be so docile as to bare their neck for this kind of bloodletting.

And your mountains are beautiful.

Regards,
Tony Barry

And we have it here in Taiwan also. Plus a huge 75% import tax on foreign made cars. Some manufacturers have setup assembly lines here in Taiwan, so the car is assembled locally and it helps to keep the cost down.

For instance a Taiwan assembled Mitsubishi Outlander is $NT 800,000 ($USD 25,000). So when you see an ‘imported’ Hyundai Tucson at the same price, the actual value of the Hyundai is $NT 457,000 ($USD 14,000). So you could say that second hand Hyundais don’t lose so much of their original value :wink:

Inspired by the British, tax the hard working honest person to hell. One day my Dad, figured out that about 80% of his income was lost on one form of tax or another, income tax, sales tax, car tax, fuel tax, booze tax, health insurance tax are the ones I can recall.

So you don’t pay any road tax? Do you have high fuel taxation? In Taiwan you don’t pay fuel tax, but you do pay road tax annually (based upon engine capacity and purpose of the vehicle), as well as tolls on the motorways.

Anyhow we’ve managed to get right off-topic.

@Emile: if you develop for yourself then you don’t need to sign. Yes, everything gets more complicated. Yes, I love this sugar, too. And also yes, if you want to distribute your software then you need to learn how to do this security stuff.

@Sam Rowlands: the plants most likely will be ckd (completely knocked down) ones. Meaning the cars are assembled in their original plants. Then deassembled. And finally assembled again in the ckd plant. Apparently this is cheaper for some countries.

What ? I have to get a permit and an insurance to drive that stuff ? I have to actually drive it ? It does not drive by itself ? I have to buy insurance ? It does not come with it ?

Slightly confused now?

I only create Xojo apps which will run on my own machine.

Are you saying that in MacOS Sierra, I will need to pay for an Apple Developer Certificate, just so that I can code-sign it, in order to prevent a long delay before the app actually starts?

No. Gatekeeper only comes into play for applications downloaded from the internet.

Thanks Joe.

Late to the party but…

Road tax. In UK, you pay a tax which was introduced for upkeep of the roads, but hasnt been used fro that purpose (openly!) since Churchill. Its just a tax.

Road Tax is nothing new… we have it here in the US as well… they just hide it in the price of gasoline

Take a Tesla !

Is this true for non-xojo apps as well?

Yes, but it seems Xcode already codesigned apps the correct way so they did not suffer from slow launching. AppWrapper now does too so Xojo apps can be signed correctly (incl. the DMG).

Xcode does a lot of undocumented magic behind the scenes… It’s been a real challenge to dig in a figure out how it works.

Or sent via iMessage. There may be some other scenarios (such as drag & drop file transfer via Screen Sharing app…)

I’d consider that the internet, but it could pedantically be reworded as the less useful “any operation which results in the quarantine attribute being set on the file”.

I’m a perfectly happy app wrapper user too, far more straightforward than trying to do it in separate steps manually each time I build. While I think everyone should go out and buy the terrific tool that is app wrapper, some basic examples of how to add build scripts to do it wouldn’t go amiss. Perhaps they already exist I don’t know since I use app wrapper :slight_smile:

I codesign in a build script. Works like a charm.

Dim theRes As String

theRes = DoShellCommand("codesign --deep -s ""3rd Party Mac Developer Application: YOUR COMPANY. (IDENTIFIER)"" " + getCurrentBuildLocation + "/Mac\\ OS\\ X\\ \\(Cocoa\\ Intel\\)/BRU\\ Server\\ Agent\\ Config.app", 20000)
  If theRes <> "" Then
    Print "Issue with codesign" + EndOfLine + theRes
  Else
    theRes = DoShellCommand("codesign -vv " +  getCurrentBuildLocation + "/Mac\\ OS\\ X\\ \\(Cocoa\\ Intel\\)/BRU\\ Server\\ Agent\\ Config.app", 20000)
    Print "codesign successful" + EndOfLine + EndOfLine + theRes
  End If

Works right within Xojo every time I build an app.