Mac vs Linux Text issues (performance / leak)

You should probably download 2019r1 and try it with your specific scenario.

Can I create a build with that? I develop on Mac…

Edit - nope. I’ll buy the update to check it out.

Did a quick test: still not running at Mac speeds at all, but at least a fair deal faster than the 2017 version.

Now I have to figure out if I want to pay $299 for that…

Edit: it appears to be using way more memory though.

[quote=434707:@Arthur van den Boogaart]Can I create a build with that? I develop on Mac…

Edit - nope. I’ll buy the update to check it out.[/quote]
I’m surprised you couldn’t just run your project to find out.

I can only run on the Mac. The problem was on Linux.

[quote=434742:@Arthur van den Boogaart]Did a quick test: still not running at Mac speeds at all, but at least a fair deal faster than the 2017 version.

Edit: it appears to be using way more memory though.[/quote]
There are definitely still issues with the performance of the Linux IDE. The good news is that applications built using the IDE don’t suffer from the performance issues.

A group of us have been providing a load of feedback and logging info and most has been duplicated. We’re hoping that once teh Xojo Dev Conference is done, we’ll see a bit more activity aimed at fixing these issues.

As an aside, what Linux distro are you using and is it in a VM or a real machine?

[quote=434751:@Tim Jones]There are definitely still issues with the performance of the Linux IDE. The good news is that applications built using the IDE don’t suffer from the performance issues.

A group of us have been providing a load of feedback and logging info and most has been duplicated. We’re hoping that once teh Xojo Dev Conference is done, we’ll see a bit more activity aimed at fixing these issues.

As an aside, what Linux distro are you using and is it in a VM or a real machine?[/quote]

<https://xojo.com/issue/46943>

The 2019 build uses almost 6 times more memory (as opposed to 2017r2.1). Maybe the way Xojo reports used memory changed?

Edit: see below.

Hmmm, I just ran the uploaded project on a stock Mint 19 system using 2019r1. Pretty snappy here. I attached a movie to your feedback.

Yeah, like I said, it’s way better now (maybe even solved). Have to double check the memory usage though…

The memory usage is somehow linked to the former problem.

Although the performance issue is more or less gone, the memory usage for this procedure stays high afterwards. Even though the thread running the procedure has ended / destructed correctly / without any issue at all; as it’s supposed to.

Maybe the memory issue was the real problem to begin with…

The 2019 IDE does have a problem, but I’ve not seen it with built apps. Aer you saying that the built project suffers, or that the memory use by the IDE isn’t released after the project is run in the debugger?

Simply typing and editing code in the IDE causes memory use to creep up.

Yup. The build leaks. Every additional run allocates extra memory. So the problem probably only changed its look.

You know there are several remote debuggers included for different target platforms which you can use on a virtual or real machine accessible on your network to run debug builds on, don’t you?

Yeah, but I use a managed server with no support for that feature.

Not a big deal though, the app is stable enough and I know where the issues are…

Updated the case with the memory leak (maybe it was always there, just missed it?)…

<https://xojo.com/issue/46943>