M1 and Intel speed comp

Wait, what? That would make AMD processors incompatible with x86. Or are they also going to be making ARM processors, that would make more sense to me. Windows has been on ARM for decades, but compatibility has been the biggest problem and most consumers were happy to sacrifice ARMs advantages so they could run regular Windows apps.

When AirDrop first shipped, it was amazing I tell you. Alas it has fallen prey to the pit of inconsistency for some time now.

Heck even straight Bluetooth file exchange (which is slow) is more reliable than AirDrop.

For the time being, any speculation about where AMD would be going is just guess work. The PC scene is far from being as simple to address as Apple.

Sure, Microsoft could decide to go for more ARM based Surface, but they have been burned so badly before doing so that they will probably think twice before embarking on such a path.

99% of current PCs are made in China. It is doubtful manufacturers will try ARM just for fun. It is far more probable that they will keep providing machines based on CISC processors, until the entire market changes.

Now, AMD may want to grab a piece of the mobile huge pie. It would make much more sense to come up with an ARM chipset or chiplet, and snatch good business away from existing chip suppliers.

1 Like

Eventually, all Mac users will switch to M1 as Apple will obsolete Intel in a few years and stop supporting Intel Macs. My guess is this will be in less than 5 years, considering Apple’s annoying yearly new MacOS version.

Yes, but in Germany they will stay with MS Architecture…
And with a M1 there are more cool things possible.
Maybe it will be also make the way in Automotive.

BR Rainer

From what I see on Apple.de, they have the same M1 machines as the rest of Europe…

2 Likes

Has anyone done any compiler tests. Does a LARGE xojo project compile significantly faster on M1?

The Air compiles as fast as my iMac from 2018. I can do some timings tomorrow.

But the power supply was kaputt 2 days ago and had to be replaced. For the new power supply the Air had to be restarted before it started using the power supply.

I wonder why that is? The new iMacs have an ethernet port in the power supply, so I can see perhaps a different ethernet adapter may not be recognized without a restart or some explicit option.

But why would an Air power supply not get recognized? Isn’t it just USB-C power?

Protection against bad quality / cheap Power Supply built by unknows ?

Yes, it’s just USB-C. And we tried 2 different Apple original power supplies. Only after restarting the power supply was “recognised”.