Looking for a *WORKING* solution for a DMG background image

Thank you but I did not need it. I bought DMGCanvas, which worked right away, and which documentation is crystal clear.

Very, very clean product :slight_smile:

I rather spend more time polishing my code than wasting it in reinventing the wheel.

And unfortunately, dmgCanvas doesn’t work with macOS Catalina, and their tech support is unresponsive. Does anyone have a better solution, preferably one that will work with App Wrapper?

I’m guessing you mean it doesn’t work on Catalina, because our DMGs are created with DMGCanvas and they work just fine.

It doesn’t work on Catalina, it can’t build a .dmg, it throws an error instead of making the .dmg

What is the error?

You could always do it yourself… see this example project: xojo2dmg.
But I’m not going to say that this is a “better solution” :slight_smile:

They are very active on Twitter. Maybe mention them with the Issue in a Tweet?

I’d keep trying. They released a new product somewhat recently so I suspect he’s still there. Maybe on vacation.

They give support on Twitter and the latest public Tweet was made 2 days ago…

“Building the disk image failed because DMG Canvas could not get the volume info”

Then there are the details:

=== Starting…
=== Saving background image…
=== Creating disk image template…
/usr/bin/hdiutil create -megabytes 321 /var/folders/43/bf3nvz_n0cg6b4shjwj2s5x80000gp/T/DMGCanvasTemp_Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314.dmg -fs HFS+ -layout SPUD -volname Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314 -nospotlight

created: /var/folders/43/bf3nvz_n0cg6b4shjwj2s5x80000gp/T/DMGCanvasTemp_Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314.dmg
=== Attaching disk image…
/usr/bin/hdiutil attach /var/folders/43/bf3nvz_n0cg6b4shjwj2s5x80000gp/T/DMGCanvasTemp_Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314.dmg -nobrowse -noverify

/dev/disk2 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk2s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk2s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314
=== Setting window properties…
=== Setting background image…
=== Copying files…
/bin/ln -s /Applications /Volumes/Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314/Applications

=== You can make changes in Finder…
=== Finalizing…
=== Ejecting template…
/usr/bin/hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314

“disk2” ejected.
=== Attaching disk image…
/usr/bin/hdiutil attach /var/folders/43/bf3nvz_n0cg6b4shjwj2s5x80000gp/T/DMGCanvasTemp_Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314.dmg -nobrowse -noverify

/dev/disk2 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk2s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk2s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314
=== Making auto-open…
Building the disk image failed because DMG Canvas could not get the volume info.
=== Ejecting template…
/usr/bin/hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Lightwright 6.0.30 development build 314

“disk2” ejected.

I got a pretty quick reply from Seth this time, unfortunately the answer was “not yet” (in response to my asking if there was a beta or other version for Catalina).

anyone think it would be worth my time to revisit my flashDMG and update it (it was written like 6 years ago)

If it can work with App Wrapper, yes - it would be good to have more than one alternative.

what exactly would that mean?

AppWrapper can build a DMG Canvas template automatically after it performs it’s wrapping procedure. Sam does this by using the command line tool that’s included with DMG Canvas. You would either have to communicate with Sam to set up a link, or provide a command line tool like DMG Canvas.

@John McKernon I’m just waiting for DMG Canvas to get an update. The DMG Canvas people told you “not yet” which implies they’re working on it. They got disk image signing added when we needed that, so I expect they’ll get this fixed up.

I got a mail today telling they are working on the update. Which will be available before macOS 10.15 is eventually released.

That’s good to hear, hopefully they will let some of us try it out in beta before they release it.

I’m planning to talk to Michael Tsai about adding the option for integrating with his product too. I choose DMG Canvas because it comes highly rated for prominent members here. I’m not doing this to switch allegiance; just as John says, I think it might help if I offer it as a choice.

Has anyone tried this script?

https://github.com/andreyvit/create-dmg/

Gasp, brew install create-dmg? This I gotta try! :smiley: