Localizing with different language

And that is a problem if the translator doesn’t speak the language of the “default value”
It would be much better if I could choose the language.

File a feature request ?
Although I suspect selecting a language other than the “default” would give you whats affectionately known as the “telephone effect”
You have one person translate it to German then someone else translates that German to another language and the final results isn’t what a direct translation of the English (in this case) to the final language would be

[quote=76401:@Norman Palardy]File a feature request ?
Although I suspect selecting a language other than the “default” would give you whats affectionately known as the “telephone effect”[/quote]
I wrote the app in english and translated it into german by my self.
Now I have someone for a hungarian translation, but he doesn’t speak english.
Oliver showed me how this can be done by importing the german file into Lingiua.
This works fine for the first attempt.
But in the future, importing the german file will overwrite the translation that is already made.
So the translator needs to open two documents with Lingua and have to work side by side.
That is not easy to handle.

Maybe this is a special case and not many people need this, but I am still looking for a solution.

I think you missed Norman’s point. It’s like putting a document through a copy machine. The result will be very similar, but not exact. Now put that result through the machine again. What you get back will be even further from the original.

Translating from English to Hungarian directly would likely yield more accurate results than English to German to Hungarian.

[quote=76430:@Michael Thaler]I wrote the app in english and translated it into german by my self.
Now I have someone for a hungarian translation, but he doesn’t speak english.[/quote]
I’d suggest you find someone who does

Maybe someone contributing to Alwyn’s project - see https://forum.xojo.com/9809-language-translation-developers-help-developer/96#p75333

That is not so easy as you think.
The purpose of the application is to manage a linux based set-top-box and it is full of special expressions.
So it can only be translated from someone who owns such kind of a box.

I will have a look at Thomas Tempelmann’s OpenLingua.
Maybe I can find a way…

Maybe you invest more time in learning how to use lingua?

The feature to open a language file and then to import a second one over it already opens up quite some combinations.

Then one can also import/export tab delimited text files. If you study how this works, you may find quite simple ways to make use of other software like Excel.

I just did this with an Italian translator. So I think there are ways to simplify life of translators AND developer by using the tools which already exist.

Yes Oliver, you are probably right.
OpenLingua seems to be a little outdated and it’s very difficult for me to make any changes.
So I will go your way with import, export, Excel and so on…
I was hoping Xojo could help me on this. I thought for them it is easy to implement such a function.
But my request seems to be too special.
It looks like I am the only one who speaks more than one language… :wink:

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. That was really helpful.

Michael, I’ve added Hungarian to the OpenPhrase.org language database. The website is still very new, but I hope with time I trust it will become a valuable translation tool for developers.

Reminds me of an artist named Jonathan Monk we exhibited, when I was employed at an art gallery a decade ago. Around the world in 11 translations…
Parkett Verlang - Jonathan Monk Insert