Libgpiod vs pigpiod vs wiringPi

I have good news about the existing pigpio library, as it makes very limited use of sysfs (the deprecated OS calls). Sysfs will be maintained in Linux for the forseeable future and there are no plans to remove it from the Linux kernel. In this sense, deprecation means no new features will be added and the existing code will be maintained.

Most of the calls in the pigpio library for Xojo use pigpio and pigpiod_if2 dynamic libraries. Only the gpioISR function in the pigpio library use the sysfs, which is the part that uses interrupts. Xojo does not recommend interrupts on any machine. There is a discussion about some workarounds in this part of the forums (gpio event at level change).

There is a newer library wrapper that I can create which uses the newer gpiochip interface that @DerkJ mentioned, which will be getting more updates and an increased number of functions.

I would like to know your thoughts and below is a poll and you can vote for one or both.

Would you like the newer pgiochip wrapper or keep the existing pigpio interface for Xojo Raspberry Pi?
  • Keep existing pigpio wrapper (sysfs interrupt deprecation)
  • Create a new libgpio wrapper (new kernel functions)

0 voters

Thanks for voting :slight_smile:

Edit: I made an error, and the poll is open to everyone now.