Launch Mac Shortcut

I do not know what is Mac Shortcut.

Is it possible for someone to explain ?

I searched with Google, but only found Menu keyboard shortcut…

I assumed they were talking about aliases.

Thank you Tim. OK.

But how the shared code is related to alias is… lost in the dark web.

It’s an app :

And also a command line tool you can run in the Shell:

Thank you.

As has been established, in this context we are talking about Mac Shortcuts which is an application provided by Apple in recent OS’s that allows the user to combine multiple steps from various apps to accomplish a task. Users can create a library of pre-built Shortcuts.

I have an application that itself wishes to call individual Shortcuts. It is possible to use the Shell.Execute command to fire off a Shortcut. I have the following code in a Xojo application to launch a Shortcut. You need the name of the shortcut. A Shell executes the Shortcut of the name that is passed.

Shell.Execute(“shortcuts run “+”“nameOfShortcut””) \ the basic form of the command

I am using the code below which allows me to pass any Shortcut that I have in my library by its name (whichShortcut)

Var nameQuote As String
nameQuote = UTF8.DQ + whichShortcut + UTF8.DQ
Var theCommand As String
theCommand = "shortcuts run " + nameQuote
Var theShell As Shell
theShell = New Shell
theShell.ExecuteMode = Shell.ExecuteModes.Synchronous
theShell.Execute(theCommand)

This works fine if I pass a simple Shortcut. Now a Shortcut can complete its task without any input from the user. I consider these “simple”.

But there are also Shortcuts that ask the user for additional information. One of my test Shortcuts is designed to email a recently taken photograph to a recipient. It prepares an email with a chosen photograph as an attachment and this pending email is presented to the user. At this point the user can for example add some verbiage to the email and then click on the send button. It would be possible for the Shortcut to then continue on doing various tasks. But the essential fact is that the Shortcut has “paused” and is waiting for the user to do something.

However, I (Xojo) get an error message which I believe is related to the fact that the Shortcut is complicated enough to ask for additional user input. The Error code is — Error 134. I check for this error after the Shell.Execute command.

If theShell.ExitCode = 0 Then
  // all is well
Else
  MessageBox("Error Code: " + theShell.ExitCode.ToString)
End If

With my limited testing, it seems to me that these Shortcuts that “pause” at some point to get more information are the Shortcuts that create this error. In some cases, the Shortcut actually does its task successfully despite my code getting sent an error message but that is often not the case and the situation is not satisfactory.

Has anyone successfully employed Shell commands to launch a Shortcut? Are there any suggestions of how to avoid this error? Or what causes it?

By the way, when I launch the shortcut that returns an error from Xojo from Terminal, it works without a problem.

pig@Roberts-Mac-Studio ~ % shortcuts run "Send Recent Photo to Pam"

What error?
Not found?
Try using the full path to shortcuts.

The Error Code is 134. I do not know exactly what the error is.

It is finding the Shortcut just fine. The Shortcut will actually run. In my experience, if there are no user interactions, it will be fine. If there is just one interaction with my small sample they might work although I get an error message. When I have expanded the shortcut to require two interactions with the user, it will not work at all.

The command that you are using in Xojo is not the name of a file. Individual Shortcuts are accessed through the Shortcuts app. They are not individual files.

This is the command:

theShell.Execute(“shortcuts run ““nameOfIndividualShortcut”””)

If theShell.ExitCode = 0 Then
  // all is well

Else
  MessageBox("Error Code: " + theShell.ExitCode.ToString)
End If

Maybe the code above is the issue. Perhaps I am asking for trouble. Things do better if I avoid looking for the error. I just skip the code that produces the message things seem to go smoothly with my limited testing. It does make me feel uncomfortable that an error is being created even if I do not see it. :see_no_evil:

To me, this sounds like the shell is waiting for more input, as if your parameter was “truncated”. Are you surrounding “nameQuote” with appropriate quotes?

If you’re doing this in a desktop app you can use

showurl("shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=OpenXojo")

Fastest way I found via terminal/console app is to use

dim s as new shell
s.Execute("open shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=OpenXojo")

You can replace any spaces between words with %20 as it follows typical URL rules too.

dim mystring as string = "Open Xojo"
mystring = mystring.replaceall(" ","%20")
showurl("shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=" + mystring)
// which would convert the URL to "shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Open%20Xojo"

Here’s a good article that answers how you do other things such as passing in input etc The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Apple Shortcut Deep Linking for Developers | by ■■■■■■■ Shah | Infonity Tech | Medium

You can use callbacks to somewhat customise what happens depending on if the shortcut succeeds or fails.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Edit:
If you go the route of using “shortcuts run” you can type “man shortcuts” into the terminal to get a little help file that tells you a little more of how to handle input and output.

Edit 92:
If you don’t want the shortcut app to open when you use URLs add &silent=true to the end of your url.

1 Like

This is a Desktop app.
Quite interesting. Do you have an opinion as to which approach Is best?

1. Create new Shell & Execute
    OR
  2. Using URL schemes

Both seemed to work when I tried them. And I did not get an error message using the Shell/Execute approach. So it seems superior to my original approach. My own inclination is to use #1.

If you don’t want the shortcut app to open when you use URLs add &silent=true to the end of your url.

I am not sure how that would apply. It seems in my use case Shortcuts has to open.

I really appreciate the input.

Personal preference? Would be Using URL Schemes however it would really depend on what exactly the Shortcut is performing.

The og 134 error sounds like it could possibly be a SIGABRT (https://stackoverflow.com/a/23098735)

man signal in the terminal can tell you more about these

I believe it’s possible to catch these and change what they do when the shell receives this request with trap Bash trap command

man trap

Or maybe the shell is just timing out? The following code will set your timeout to infinity.

Var s As New Shell
s.ExecuteMode = Shell.ExecuteModes.Synchronous
s.TimeOut = -1

The &silent=true won’t always have a use case, its more for those shortcuts where you want to say hit a button to have your brightness change but don’t want the Shortcut App to bounce/activate into your dock bar getting in the way of what you’re working. More of a User Experience thing than a functionality thing.

1 Like

I tried this but I was not absolutely sure whereto put &silent=true. I tried both of the below. (note to reader — System.GotoURL and showurl have identical functionality. The latter has just been deprecated. In my code, noSpaces is just the name of the shortcut with spaces replaced by %20)
The first did not suppress the appearance of the Shortcuts app. It did nothing as far as I could tell. The second resulted in the Shortcuts app appearing but the nothing happening.

System.GotoURL ("shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=" + noSpaces+"&silent=true")

or

System.GotoURL ("shortcuts://run-shortcut&silent=true?name=" + noSpaces)

Incidentally, I tried the possible suggestion

s.TimeOut = -1

That did not prevent the error message.

I had Googled and run across the

possibly be a SIGABRT

thing, But this is/was so far out of my wheelhouse that I could not make much of this.

I hear about using URL schemes on various podcast that I follow but I had concluded in my mind that it was some kind of brilliant hack that I was not destined to understand. So my personal preference, based on uninformed intuition, is to use the non-URL technique that Jefferies suggested. In my limited testing both worked just fine.

Are you sure the other characters are all good for an URL? Are you using EncodeURLComponent for that?

This should be the correct syntax. “?” usually denotes the starting of parameters (should appear only once, after the target, and before any parameter). Then “&” denotes an additional parameter will follow. Each parameter is in the form “name=value”.

1 Like

Syntax looks correct however it looks like I misread the &silent function. The actual text says “You can [add] &silent=true in url for importing [a] shortcut in library without opening Shortcut app.”

Shortcuts wasn’t really designed for super heavy coding/automating. To me it feels like Apple’s just thrown this onto macOS as an after thought after spending many years trying to kill AppleScript (Third attempt to my recollection if we count ScriptingBridge) so there’s always going to be a little bit of compromise with whatever solution chosen.

If you want to be really ‘hackmaster2000’…

If you add the shortcut to your Dock from within the Shortcuts App.

Then find the package in Finder you can open it up with right click show package contents and extract the EXEC and build that into your app.

Edit: Looks like its time to break out Hopper and tear the exec apart to see how it works… Good luck me!

This seems very cool, but it is not what I need for this program which is not dealing with specific Shortcuts that I (the developer) can anticipate. But it sounds interesting in other contexts. Of course,

extract the EXEC

is not in my comfort zone.

As for

time to break out Hopper and tear the exec apart

now you are so far out in the weeds that I cannot see the top of your head. :slightly_smiling_face:

To me it feels like Apple’s just thrown this onto macOS as an after thought after spending many years trying to kill AppleScript (Third attempt to my recollection if we count ScriptingBridge) so there’s always going to be a little bit of compromise with whatever solution chosen.

I am not quite as cynical about this as you are. Shortcuts has migrated from iOS where AppleScript does not exist at all. I believe (hope) that Apple has remained committed to Automation and Shortcuts does seem to be their next go at it (AppleScript and then Automator and now Shortcuts). AppleScript (famously described as readable but not writable) will take a long time to replace and Shortcuts does not seem to be really designed to do this. It is more like a replacement for Automator. It is tragic that AppleScript is so difficult to write seemingly handicapped by a decision to make it “English-like” which perversely made it hard to deal with.

I was doing the equivalent "manually’. I am very glad to learn about this command which is clear and more general. Now I am using it. :slightly_smiling_face:

This should be the correct syntax. “?” usually denotes the starting of parameters (should appear only once, after the target, and before any parameter). Then “&” denotes an additional parameter will follow. Each parameter is in the form “name=value”.

This snippet is helpful for me (a novice) to get a deeper understanding and move one step beyond just copying and pasting.

1 Like