labels always transparent ? (Windows)

Not really, there are lots of ‘things’ in the IDE that don’t occur cross platform. They are OS specific. windows, properties i.e. Focus Ring. I don’t think Cue Text is Xplat. (but maybe it is) That’s what the LR is for, it tells you right up

Label.Transparent
“This property applies only to Windows.”

Suppose you are a crazy Xojo windows dev, designing an app, full of windows and expect it working in a Mac right away using your xplat IDE; you had your Windows focus cue translated to a focus ring on Mac, is not bad, works. But… you also had a text in black with a gray background (transparent = no) over a black canvas “Saying: DON’T PRESS THE [GO AHEAD] button unless you are completely sure” vanished, and you didn’t noticed it in the tests because it is one exceptional case. It’s not good cross plat design decision in my opinion. If I used a not compatible xplat feature, it must be for choice, not needing to read the entire LR to find an exceptional unexpected behavior. I would prefer a “compiler”/IDE error (“Error: You can’t use label transparency = False for target OSX, Linux”) than this. :stuck_out_tongue: Well… This subject is already exhausted. From now on I will repeat myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL I love when people go into reductio ad absurdum theories to prove their case then simply close the conversation saying things like “This subject is already exhausted” It really makes me chuckle

Jym, This subject is already exhausted for me. Better? :wink:

In Windows, Xojo labels default to Transparent = False with he color of the window as background.
In Mac, whatever the setting, a Xojo label is transparent.

It would not be too difficult to provide a non transparent label in Mac OS X, as NSTextFieldCell offers a background color property. So a Declare should be possible, besides the ContainerControl technique (which works also in Linux).

Now I see…
So in Xojo label background color adquires the same color of the Window so it “seems” to be transparent
I was expecting labels to behave like on VB6…MY FAULT. Sorry

rgds

[quote=115207:@Horacio Vilches]Now I see…
So in Xojo label background color adquires the same color of the Window so it “seems” to be transparent
I was expecting labels to behave like on VB6…MY FAULT. Sorry
[/quote]

No fault, no need to be sorry.

Here is a practical example. I set a window with a blue background color. On top of it, I placed a canvas with a picture in it. And then, I placed two labels on top of it.

The one where I set transparent is truly transparent, over the head of the robot. Althout it covers the entire width of the picture, it shows everything under it. The non-transparent takes the color of the window background. And it covers the picture. Please note that in the IDE, it appears grey instead of blue.

As far as I can tell, transparent works exactly like in VB.

The Container Control tip I gave you allows you to set the background color of the label the way you did in VB, with any color you like.