Issues downloading zip files

As already said, it may work if you follow the said rules to fool the inspection.

@DerkJ
In the same folder where DLL.zip is downloaded

Downloading exe files with a txt extension, downloading and replacing dlls in place, archive tamperingā€¦ these are all behaviors that look a lot like malware.

My advice is to start using an installer and configure your web server to advertise the correct mime type for the exe. I understand this is a huge change from your current practice, but computers are much more strict these days. The utter creativity of malware has made it so legit developers have to cross their tā€™s and dot their iā€™s.

1 Like

At last I have found a workaround!

I zipped the three files into a new one (Extras.zip): the server allows my app to download it, and so I can unzip it and process its contentā€¦and all is done!

Thanks to all of you for your support and for your time!

You should seriously look at making a legitimate installer. Itā€™s only a matter of time until the antivirus catches up to your new configuration.

@Tim_Hare You are surely right, Tim. But I donā€™t know how to implement your advice.
When I decided to implement the auto-update feature, the only solution I found out is that I described in my post #58.
If you could explain to me, in detail, what are you thinking when you say ā€œmaking a legitimate installerā€ I will be grateful to you!

Use Kaju.

1 Like

Do a search for InnoSetup. If you donā€™t want to learn that, I suggest looking at AdvancedInstaller. Their product is easy to use and understand and when I used it 10 years ago I found it to be well supported with regular updates.

@Greg_O_Lone
Hi Greg, when I switched from VB6 to Xojo one of the reasons to do so was the fact that I no longer had to install anything, avoiding what someone called ā€œthe DLL hellā€: I would be very sorry to have to go back to those times ā€¦

Secondly Iā€™m wondering: these installers need their files, which will have to reside somewhere. How can I provide them, if not downloading them from a web space?

Third: users who use the program are not administrators, so they are not authorized to install anything!

Many years ago, when I first looked at VB.NET, I noticed that there was the possibility to indicate that the application could be self-updating, indicating the url where the new version was located: at the time of the program launch this was self-updating.
It would be great if Xojo had such a feature.

Sorry for my bad English!! :scream:

@Thom_McGrath
You will think Iā€™m stupid, but I donā€™t know how to download something from GitHub ā€¦

I do not. Use the green ā€œCodeā€ button near the upper right and choose ā€œDownload as ZIP.ā€

1 Like

Thank you!