Is it possible to hide method, variable, etc. Names in compiled code?

Crash logs would contain everything. But in a way that only the dev with his symbol report would understand.

In fact, there are compilers that spits an external symbol map at compile time that you can use later or in a debug session. And apps create crash logs that you have tools to “symbolize them” to be completely human readable using such files.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I’m not worried enough to spend a ton of time on this. I understand a good hacker could easily crack my code. I just didn’t want to have it easy enough for a user to just browse the code and tweak things with a hex editor. With some encryption of certain strings and a few checks to make sure things haven’t been tweaked, it should stop the non-hackers from seeing or doing anything to crack it. For the intended audience which will likely be small, it should do the trick.

If your executable is signed, modification with a hex editor should disable it.

I would like to add that you should also check the codesigning in-app. So ruling out that someone has resigned it.

1 Like

That may be great for the Mac, but what about Windows and Linux versions? And after my current year is up, I probably won’t be renewing the Apple Developer due to cost and won’t be paying for similar subscriptions on the other platforms.

I’m not quite sure how that would work. And as mentioned to Michel, I’m not going to continue paying to sign my apps. Just can’t justify the cost and hassle.

For macOS you have about no choice to code sign your apps. Unless you just compile your apps for yourself.

For Windows it is also advised to sign your .exe file. Otherwise users will get a warning your .exe is untrusted.

Not “that one”. Code signing just attests that THAT CODE is certified by the owner as ok as is. It does not hold people to clone that code, modify such copy disabling everything, like an in-app check, removing the signing, etc.

That’s not really true. Users always have the option to allow the app to run anyway. Software available for free or even pay don’t always sign their stuff. I’ve had no issue running stuff if I want to. And I’ve seen apps where they explain what you need to do, which is quite simple.

Windows and Linux do require signed executables as well.

At least, if you wish the app to be of professional quality.

If I was making the money to justify it from my apps, I’d consider it. I’m not there yet. Though I feel an app can be plenty professional without paying the ransom to have them signed.

I’m not trying to compete with, nor could I even try to compete with the big boys.

1 Like

No offense, Steve, but I have seen enough people new to programming with unrealistic fear of having their app reverse engineered.

Before trying to bunkerize your code, perhaps you should work on having a real success.

Perhaps start trying for good to sell on the Mac App Store.

No offense taken. I’m not new to programming, but still learning the ropes with XoJo. As I’ve said several times in this thread, I’m not worried about true hackers or reverse engineering. I just wanted to keep the average Joe that knows how to use a Hex Editor from tweaking simple things. It also would have been nice if XoJo didn’t show all the method and variable names in the compiled project. That’s really what the thread was about.

And again, not really trying to compete with the big boys, or anyone for that matter. Selling on the App Store is not really my vision. Especially since it would not only be Apple, but Windows as well. I just don’t see the expense justified at this point, and possibly any point depending on where I ultimately decide to go.

Good luck.

Without codesigning, you have near to zero succes distributing your app. Especially for macOS

Just my 2c

1 Like

never heard of it. I only program on windows. Perhaps one of the many reasons I am far from the mac world back then

On Windows 10 and 11, if you don’t code sign, you get the infamous yellow popup saying the program is from an unknown source/developer.

If you are serious about distributing software outside of the Microsoft Store, you better code sign it.

I don’t know which popup you are referring to. That administrator? I do not think so. On systems where I distribute this problem does not happen to me, at least on win10 (out of 11 I’m not finished yet). Obviously my applications are not aimed at mass markets. I copy the software myself (I copy, I don’t install). So I don’t know …
even if it were, at the popup the user can click execute (I think saving the choice)

If you distribute in small quantities without an installer, that is probably confidential enough not to need more.

The thing is, some of us, yours truly included, distribute thousands of paying copies to end users through channels such as Amazon, Internet, and online platforms. In that case, end users expect a higher level of professionalism.

is the term “professionalism” that out of place for me in this area. This is not professionalism. Just more complications and, it seems, shameful money to go out.