Interops?

There is a new Xojo blog entry which states this (in part):

So Interops is a Xojo thing ?

no. interops is short for interoperability (structures, objects, etc.)

Here is an example that has nothing to do with Xojo.

Hopefully they’ll work with Swift frameworks as Apple’s next move is to phase out Objective-C :frowning:

Apple has never been dull. After forcing Obj-C as the only language for years, there are going to phase it out ?

I still remember when Pascal and later Hypercard were “THE” language for Mac :wink:

I am concerned by this statement, although I have to admit my level of knowledge is way below what is needed to assess the implications and consequences here. Anyone care to comment on that?

Thanks in advance.

Julen

For Java (Android), you can simply query via introspection all the APIs.
For Mac/iOS you can easily parse the source code and/or use introspection on the cocoa classes.
For Windows or Linux, this is much more difficult.

Thanks Chirstian. I got that part (sorry, maybe I was not clear), what concerns me is what will happen in the future (in terms of of performance, understanding performance in a broad sense) with the platforms that can’t use interops. Will they (somehow) be left behind?

You can still use traditional declares.

As I understood from the XDC, the use of interops has nothing to do with performance, but with easyness in order to access the underlaying APIs from the targeted OS. If there is not Interops availables for a particular OS, then we still can use Declares for that… but in that case we have to deal with types conversion et al, while with Interops this is done transparently.

One thing is for sure. Without declares, Xojo iOS is not much more than a botched toy.

Hopefully with interops, Android will be on par with Desktop. And other, much more implanted languages.