Intel vs Apple Silicon

Indeed, it follows that anything being handled by the OS is much faster, e.g. disk I/O and, as you’ve quite rightly stated, it’s what’s going inside Xojo that’s performing at similar speeds to an Intel equipped Mac as it’s only utilising the single CPU core.

Yeah, this can’t be understated. I’ve had my laptop for about a year now, I can’t recall ever hearing the fans.

2 Likes

Anyother reason to move to the M chip is things usually don’t go in reverse. Remember Mac before they moved to INTEL?

Even if the speed is just equal - now - as time moves on more and more things Apple will move to the world of the M‘s.

On the PC side, I am continually left behind because my hardware won’t support Win 10 or 11. Same thing happens with Mac, but at a slower pace - except for the iPad Mini 3.

If I am understanding that stack report correctly, it’s analyzing a Mach-O executable, or at least the load commands and meta data of the executable.

From what I understand, the M2 still doesn’t have a faster clock speed, seems like Apple really doesn’t want to clock up at all, not even in the Studio with it’s massive heat sink.

AFAIK they’ve tweaked a couple of things, namely bandwidth and IPC, which nets about a 10% single core performance over the M1 (then they go and put a slower SSD in the base unit, because, profits).

Personally, I would be interested in a Mac Studio, if they’d allowed the chip to breath. IIRC, it clocks at about 2.4Ghz, but with the right cooling, it should be able to turbo to 4 or 5 Ghz, that would have a tremendous impact across the board, instead of just apps that are capable and do take advantage of multiple core. I currently only have one app which can and only in certain places.

I suppose that Apple will do it in the new Mac Pro only, just to distinguish it from other Macs.

1 Like

If you want to hear the M1 fans, get a few HandBrake jobs running at the same time. They’re not loud, however.

How do you run more than one handbrake jobs at the same time? Running one job uses all the cores anyway. Even that doesn’t make even a MacBook Pro hot or noisy. Certainly compared with an Intel machine.

OK, I’ve found a setting. Don’t see the point though. :slight_smile:

Use the CLI. I’m doing it now. The M1 is definitely warm but not as hot when I did it with Intel. I can definitely hear the fans.

I thought the Mac Studio was their Mac Pro replacement.

Apple really is an odd duck at the moment. You can buy a 2022 Mac Studio and for many tasks it performs the same as a two year old Mac Mini. Putting SSD and memory bandwidth aside.

That’s without mentioning the M2 Air, has faster single performance, but the base model includes a slower SSD than the two year old laptop it should have replaced.

No, the MacPro will be the MacPro replacement :wink: MacStudio is filling the gap between MacMini and MacPro…

You forgot different sizes of max RAM. The MacMini is only capable of using 16 GB, the MacStudio goes up to 64 GB or 128 GB.

1 Like

macstudio has replaced the 27" imac

The MacMini could support more memory if Apple wasn’t run by the current CEO.

2 Likes

I’am not part of Apples Board, so I can’t judge if it was a technical or stragecial decision to set the max. size to 16GB and who did decide it.
For me as buyer it was a clear signal not to buy a MacMini but to wait for a better equipped device.

1 Like

The M1 does not support more than 16 GB.

Hence why I said could.

I find it incredibly hard that in 2020, with a market cap of 2.5 trillion dollars, a tech company couldn’t make a microprocessor that could handle more memory than an 8 year old chip from a competitor. In fact, now I think about, I recall Intel chips from 2012 could actually handle more than 16GB of RAM.

So my money is on, strategical decisions.

1 Like

Advertising (I saw it on TV more than once) from Darty (same holding as FNAC):

MacBook Air m2 (French Advertising)

Yes, sales people are crying…

The thing is, the M1 is pretty much the same as the A14 or A15 meant for the iPhone and iPad. On such mobiles, 16GB RAM is amply sufficient.

Now the M2 can go up to 24 GB.

Most probably, future versions of the processor will support much larger RAM.

It was improved with time to…
Mac Studio’s Specs

So M1 Ultra can go up to 64 GB.