IDE for Single File Windows EXE apps?

MoleBox definitely does NOT work with 64-bit Windows apps, plus it seems the company has gone under since www.molebox.com is available for purchase and the Activation of a serial number is no longer available.

As far as I have tested, BoxedApp can only box 32-bits Xojo applicaitons (Windows). I provided the developer with a 64-bit build but did not get response on that so far. … since 64-bits builds are still under development too, I would not complain about that.

I’d expect 64 bit builds to be more “boxable” than 32 bit ones as they are just PE32+ (have to love the name) format.
32 bit apps do use normal Windows API’s in unusual, but not illegal, ways and some boxers don’t like that.

Today… is there any way to generate a single executable file?

Not directly from the IDE. File packers may be able to package everything.

Try this: http://enigmaprotector.com/en/aboutvb.html

Tried the 64-bit demo a while ago, unsuccessful with my xojo project.

Try again. Since december/2017, lots of things changed. And If you can get a sample app failing, you can submit it and track the issue in the forum.

Just too risky to send to customers. It’s not “try and see if it works”. It should be guaranteed by substantiation.

Something escapes me. What’s the point in “single executable” anyway? I spend 100% of my time on Windows. Not only do I not find any benefit for me, I am even suspicious of such things. I mean, what’s hidden in the package? I would invest in a good installer instead of looking for single executable. Just my 2 cents.

In the Windows world we are used to something called portable apps, just copy one file to somewhere and it will run there without complications, just double click it without the need of doing “installs”. Very useful for supporting customers, send them a fix or some other “one click tool” and it’s done. I’m used to do this using other tools that create single files in just one shot. Zip, send it, and ask them to run the tool. No garbage left needing uninstalls. Or you simply don’t want people playing with your resource files.

Microsoft recommends using installers. I never had any issue providing an installer to customers for an update.

Packers also have a knack to trigger antivirus false positive.

It depends on your target functionality and audience, for a one time only patch app, installing “an application”, run the patch, and uninstall it, is kind of non-sensical. As for a “Microsoft does not recommends” monolithic apps, I’m not aware. And false-positive for false-positive, I’ve experienced pure Xojo false positives, so no big deal for me.

I don’t remember ever writing that “Microsoft does not recommends” monolithic apps.

But by all means, you do as you please :smiley: