IDE compiled program performance

[quote=79018:@Winston Potgieter]thank you Piero Ugliengo for starting this thread. I am also looking to move 3 large projects to xojo(from vb6), but as I suspected I need to wait until LLVM is implemented as indicated by this test.

Very valuable information, thanks for everyone’s efforts[/quote]
What test did you perform?

Geoff, I have not done any test, I was referring to:

Piero Ugliengo
I have now data for the VB6 run on Duo T8300 2.4 GHz (Win7/64):
100x100 VB6-IDE:3.1 Compiled: 0.81
200x200 VB6-IDE:27 Compiled: 6.9

… all xojo times were much slower.

[quote=79498:@Winston Potgieter]Geoff, I have not done any test, I was referring to:

Piero Ugliengo
I have now data for the VB6 run on Duo T8300 2.4 GHz (Win7/64):
100x100 VB6-IDE:3.1 Compiled: 0.81
200x200 VB6-IDE:27 Compiled: 6.9

… all xojo times were much slower.[/quote]
But is it fast enough? Xojo currently does not have an optimizing compiler, that’s something that will change when we finish our transition to LLVM as the backend of our new compiler. However, generally speaking, people don’t seem to complain about the performance of the current compiler. Faster is usually always better but the real question is whether or not the current code is fast enough? Also, there are often optimizations to the code itself that can be made to improve performance.

If you posted the important parts here, I’ll bet other users might have some suggestions for optimizing the code for performance.

thanks Geoff,

I understand your point… but my apps are super time crucial. They are large so the conversion is very scary for a one man team. I initially tried one project, and just the slugishness in the IDE form designer was scary.

Anyway, I keep checking and will actually run some test soon talking to hardware and crunching numbers, I will let you know what I find.

Thanks