I think, I‘m having a break ...

wonders how much of this feedback (in this topic and others) was brought up during the Alpha/Beta cycles, and what reaction (if any) did Xojo have… or did they just decide “Aw the heck with it, this new stuff is too cool not to implement”?

Events and event implementation was discussed heavily. And what you’re seeing was not their first implementation as a result.

[quote=458054:@Bob Keeney]I think what I’d really like is a compiler Error that says “Opening event has caused an implemented Open event to fail.” That’s the only way API 2.0 events can co-exist with existing API 1.0 events. Otherwise any 3rd party code has the potential of failing silently.

[/quote]
Or just abide by OOP norms and don’t offer Opening if Open has already been implemented, or closing if close is implemented. They are the same thing, otherwise Opening wouldn’t supersede Open.

Or just skip them since there was no good argument for them to begin with ?

I’m still not sure why they didn’t make the new events aliases for the old ones.

[quote=458059:@Dave S]wonders how much of this feedback (in this topic and others) was brought up during the Alpha/Beta cycles
[/quote]

All of it and more.

[quote]
, and what reaction (if any) did Xojo have… or did they just decide “Aw the heck with it, this new stuff is too cool not to implement”?[/quote]

It was more they are convinced this needs to be done for the future of Xojo (Which I don’t think is true since there were no significant new capabilities were added) … and reiterated that they have never guaranteed backward compatibility - that it was never an objective in the past.

Not much different from the betas when they added the now deprecated Xojo framework

-Karen

+1

Related events like “Open” and “Opening” should be handled automatically by the IDE. after all, this was a name change only.

Dragged an older class with an ”Open” event already in it? When you add your own own “Opening” event to the class, just have the IDE treat both events as the same (and, for safety’s sake, throw a warning if the class is encrypted and refactoring is not an option).

Please, are there still people with this True Developer talk ?

People want to work for money and not be forced to rewrite codes that are working perfectly just because of impositions often useless and unnecessary, I don’t agree with you at all !

+1

Nobody is being forced to rewrite code.

That’s exactly what you did with RealStudio, whose IDE is still better than Xojo in innumerable ways.

[quote=458081:@Kem Tekinay]Nobody is being forced to rewrite code.

[/quote]
Yet

The issue with implementing new events causing old events not to fire, is a big problem. I get it. Especially with 3rd party add-ons. Maybe Xojo will find a way to give us a little more help in some way in the future.

The issue with old training materials and videos being out of date is not good and will take years to be corrected. However, with change comes opportunity. Maybe someone else has the time to create their own video training library, similar to Bob’s, and can start a whole series using API 2?

Other than those two items, I don’t see why there is a problem with the language changes… just don’t use the changes if you don’t like them. Stick with the old. They are not going away. Why would xojo remove anything unless it was broke? The old naming is not hurting anything. I would bet that .append will still be in the language 10 years from now.

I’m taking a similar route as Xojo. New stuff will use API2, old will stick with API1.

@Paulo Vargas
The sentence about “A true developer…” meant to be inspiring or motivating that whatever what, reaching the goal one set for him/herself. I also could have written “Be creative!” which is one of my favorite ones. It was in no means my intention to be rude or offensive. I apologize for the wrong sentence I used.

Chris

Ok, so let’s just keep the code stopped until it doesn’t work anymore !

[quote=457968:@Javier Menéndez
From time to time things need to evolve in a way …[/quote]
There’s a HUGE difference between “required a new api because we rewrote the underpinnings” and “we wanted to put a new API on it”
[/quote]

Opening still does exactly what, and when, Open did
Same for most of the renamed events
I could point a debugger at Xojo code and debug it if you would like but that would break my EULA
But I can tell you I’m quite certain this IS the case
Middle calls the exact same code in C++ that Mid did - just with adjusted params so its 0 based instead of 1 based
I could prove this IF anyone would like but that would break my EULA

This is true for nearly everything in API 2.0

There ARE some items that got significant updates - Folderitem
And things that got tweaked - URLConnection

■■■■■■■■ event names taken over and code wont compile until they are rewritten

[quote=458010:@Greg O’Lone]I’d like to get a few things straight.

With a few exceptions, you don’t have to make changes to your code. Heck, we added a way to select a block of code and automagically wrap it in #if XojoVersion so you could easily navigate that too.

Just so you know, every Xojo engineer has the same 20+ year muscle-memory issue that everyone is talking about and we still think API 2 is a good idea.[/quote]

You need to get something straight the vast majority of your changes bring nothing new to the language other than you fancied a name change and created a lot of additional work for people to move to the new API if we want to take advantage of coming features. But unlike your team, customers have other options to consider and given the amount of work involved you should not be surprised that people conclude that their time would be better served moving to a more mainstream environment for their platform. This is an avenue you have opened up and your put downs don’t help.

I don’t intend to do any work on moving to API 2.0, until I see what the uptake is like.

sorry to say, but I believe Mr. Dooley nailed it.
I’d save up my $300 , ready for the annual Black Friday Sale… but I think in light of things, this year I’m taking a hard pass …

Now everyone … watch… based on the large quantity of posts. Xojo will release 2019r2.1 … 3 days after my license expires :slight_smile:

[quote=458050:@Oliver Osswald]Now is a really risky and crucial moment for Xojo. How many of us will give up on Xojo?

The ‘new framework turned out to be a shot in the oven and developing for iOS never really took off either - and who is going to invest in this direction now, when we can expect a fundamental change to iOS development somewhen in the future?

Will there be anything reliable in the near future or can we throw away our work again in 5 years from now?

I hope Xojo will survive this.[/quote]
I really hope that the changes to iOS make it much more feature complete than it is now. I know that my work on iOSKit is unlikely to continue after iOS is revamped. The several hundred hours needed to update it and fix everything that is broken will simply not be worth it.