How to install Xojo on Ubuntu 64-bit

Hello,

How do I run or install Xojo 64-bit on Ubuntu to run a simple “Hello World” program?

I just installed Xojo 2022r4.1 on Ubuntu 2022.04.01 on VirtualBox 7.0 (7.0 4r154605 (Qt5.15.2)) with Windows 11, intel processor., and attempted to run a Hello World program. Literally, a button with messagebox(“Hello World”), and when I press ‘run’ it crashes. No issues created, just crashed. Here is the video.

UbuntuCrash1

Here is a list of my installation steps:
To install Xojo 2022 r4.1 on Ubuntu 64-bit:

Install dependencies for Xojo

1. sudo apt-get install libc6
  2. sudo apt-get install libncurses5
  3. sudo apt-get install libstdc++6
  4. sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
  5. sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-0
  6. sudo apt-get install libsoup2.4-1
  7. sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
  8. sudo apt-get install rpm

Go to www.xojo.com and download the Xojo deb file

1. open a terminal and go to the download location (cd Downloads)
  2. type pwd to get the absolute path to Downloads folder (/home/eugenedakin/Downloads)
  3. type to install (sudo dpkg -i /home/eugenedakin/Downloads/xojo2022r41.deb)

Thanks for your help

Edit: I am going for a coffee… I will be back in a couple of hours :slight_smile:

Run it from console and follow the error messages you get. Think thats the best way

Thanks for your help Bjorn,

It appears that WaylandCompositor is the issue. When I googled it, WaylandCompositor is supposed to be a replacement for Xorg. Wow, lots of compatibility issues:

I will continue to work on this and update this post as more information becomes available.

Edit: From the Wayland - Debian Wiki website, it appears that Wayland has unsupported Desktops: Cinnamon, Enlightenment, MATE, XFCE, and more.

Ok, I have it working - Thanks again Bjorn.

Here are the instructions for the next person who wants to install it.
To install Xojo 2022 r4.1 on Ubuntu 64-bit 22.04.1 LTS with VirtualBox Version 7.0 4r154605 (Qt5.15.2), on 31 Dec 2022:

1. sudo apt-get install libc6
2. sudo apt-get install libncurses5
3. sudo apt-get install libstdc++6
4. sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
5. sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-0
6. sudo apt-get install libsoup2.4-1
7. sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
8. sudo apt-get install weston
9. sudo apt-get install rpm
10. Go to www.xojo.com and download the deb file
11. open a terminal and go to the download location (cd Downloads)
12. type pwd to get the absolute path to Downloads folder (/home/eugenedakin/Downloads)
13. type to install  (sudo dpkg -i /home/eugenedakin/Downloads/xojo2022r41.deb)
14. installation directory is /opt/xojo/xojo2022r4.1, and executable is Xojo
2 Likes

YMMV on those depending on which desktop manager you install - and remember, you CAN have multiple DMs installed - I have GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, and XFCE installed. You can choose which DM to use on the login screen using the little gear icon after you’ve selected your user.

As discussed in other threads, you can also simplify the installion using the tgz version since that works on ANY Linux distro. Once downloaded into your Downloads folder, open a Terminal and do this:

sudo -s
cd /
tar -zxvf ~usename/Downloads/xojo2022r4.1.tgz

That will install the downloaded version of Xojo into its proper location in /opt/xojo. You then need to create a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. The simplest variant would look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xojo 2022r4.1
Name[en_GB]=Xojo 2022r4.1
Comment=Xojo 2022 Release 4.1
Comment[en_GB]=Xojo 2022 Release 4.1
Exec=/opt/xojo/xojo2022r4.1/Xojo %F
Icon=/opt/xojo/xojo2022r4.1/xojo.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
MimeType=application/vnd.xojo.project.binary;application/vnd.xojo.project.normal;application/vnd.xojo.project.xml
Categories=Development;Programming;Building;IDE

The file can be named whatever you want, but xojo2022r41.desktop would be the most logical for this instance.

You won’t even need to restart your desktop session as the desktop file will show up immediately when you look at your start → Programming entries.

[EDIT] - vote for
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/46267
and
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/45250
To make Linux Desktop builds that much better!

1 Like

Thanks for your helpful information Tim!

Issues have been upvoted :slight_smile: